Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

How do we travel with a cat???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

We will be moving either in Dec. or June from Northern California to South Carolina.

Our dog does wonders in the car. The cat on the other hand is a nut case. The 45 min move we did in March all she did was scream and thrash in her carrier.

We do not want to rehome her so we need to find away to make this trip easy on her.

Any input please.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM
tranquilizer. only way we could travel with our cat we used to have
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM

ask your vet for meds ?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I will talk them next week when she goes in to be fixed.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

ask your vet for meds ?

Momofmenagerie
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Vet has anxiety meds for animals.

Face her twards the back of the seat, preferably in a carrier with seat belt connection on the top. Tape a towel inside so if she urinates out of fear, clean up isn't so bad.

Put a small water container that you can get to without opening the carrier to fill slightly with bottled water in case she does get thirsty.

I would consider a seatbelt harness for your dog as the more commotion, the more caterwauling. Crack her window and don't feed her on the trip or waste your time attempting to soothe her. Just hope the anxiety med conks her out as long as possible.

Good luck and happy travels.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Great advice on the cat. I don't think I"ll be harnessing my dog though as I'll be with limited space in my car. I'll have the cat, dog and 1 child my car. DH and DS driving the Uhal and pulling his car. Hmmm would it be mean if we cracked the windows in his car and put her in his car LOL.

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Vet has anxiety meds for animals.

Face her twards the back of the seat, preferably in a carrier with seat belt connection on the top. Tape a towel inside so if she urinates out of fear, clean up isn't so bad.

Put a small water container that you can get to without opening the carrier to fill slightly with bottled water in case she does get thirsty.

I would consider a seatbelt harness for your dog as the more commotion, the more caterwauling. Crack her window and don't feed her on the trip or waste your time attempting to soothe her. Just hope the anxiety med conks her out as long as possible.

Good luck and happy travels.

unspecified42
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I called my vet and she gave me some meds for them when we did our 18 hour move. They were crated and had absorbent pads in their carriers just in case. And there are disposable litter trays so you don't have to carry a litterbox in the car with you the whole way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Writing those pads on the list. Now to make sure I'm track the pads are like they training pads for puppies right? Disposable littler boxes on the list how many for a 3/4 day trip?

Quoting unspecified42:

I called my vet and she gave me some meds for them when we did our 18 hour move. They were crated and had absorbent pads in their carriers just in case. And there are disposable litter trays so you don't have to carry a litterbox in the car with you the whole way.

unspecified42
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM

They make some specifically for animal carriers, but I bet they're the same or at least similar to the puppy pads. I would take a litter box per night. Or you could probably use one twice, really, you'd just have to dump it and carry it with you again. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Writing those pads on the list. Now to make sure I'm track the pads are like they training pads for puppies right? Disposable littler boxes on the list how many for a 3/4 day trip?

Quoting unspecified42:

rachellaree20
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Have you tried letting the cat just roam the car?  My cat hates the carrier but is usually fine if I just hold him on my lap if my SO is driving.  If that's not an option then I'd talk to your vet.  I'm sure there's something they can give you to calm kitty down during the car ride :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Never had her in the car with out the carrier. This trip I'll be driving so no way for me to hold her. My DD will be in the car. Maybe we'll do a trial drive just in the parking lot at the mall across the street.

Quoting rachellaree20:

Have you tried letting the cat just roam the car?  My cat hates the carrier but is usually fine if I just hold him on my lap if my SO is driving.  If that's not an option then I'd talk to your vet.  I'm sure there's something they can give you to calm kitty down during the car ride :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)