Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Desperate for a hobby -update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
So... Almost 3 years ago I was injured on duty, after years of Physio and surgery I have been told ill never be able to return to full duties. I will thankfully always have a job but it won't be doing what I love. I realized that though I have a good life outside work - friends/ family, I don't have any real hobbies. Before work would make me feel useful and like I accomplished something - there is no better sense of accomplishment than solving a file and arresting a suspect (ill still get to solve things just none of the fun part).

What do you ladies do as a hobby?? What do you do outside of work that gives you a sense of accomplishment and validation?

***thanks for the replies but just FYI, I will still be a working mom - Full Time, just not doing what I love the most about being a cop***
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM

volunteer, golf a little , ride my bike  & SHOP

Tink5321
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Find something you believe in and think you would enjoy and volunteer. Sometimes the elderly just like to have someone come and read to them or help them them with their Ipads or computers. Libraries/school classrooms like to have volunteers. Local food banks, etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Thanks... I have realized shopping is a good hobby almost too much now since I can no longer do overtime shifts haha

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

volunteer, golf a little , ride my bike  & SHOP

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Yes I used to volunteer a lot. That is a good idea once I get the pain down and figure out my final schedule. Thanks!!

Quoting Tink5321:

Find something you believe in and think you would enjoy and volunteer. Sometimes the elderly just like to have someone come and read to them or help them them with their Ipads or computers. Libraries/school classrooms like to have volunteers. Local food banks, etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Thanks for the feature!
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Scrapbooking.  I volunteer with 2 non profit organizations also. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Wow! Good for you with time management! I'm not sure how I could work and volunteer with two organizations, and be a mom lol!

Quoting atlmom2:

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I don't work.  Those 2 organizations are my job.  I also scrapbook with a group of friends once a week.  Belong to a ladies social group I am president of also.  I am an empty nester but before I was I did all this also for years and years. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow! Good for you with time management! I'm not sure how I could work and volunteer with two organizations, and be a mom lol!

Quoting atlmom2:

bhow
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Trimming the trees, bushes, messing with indoor plants.  Violets will love you in return if your good to them.  They start easy and love morning light.  A little water and love talk will get you places.  Stampin' up.  Gets expensive but it's addicting.  They're several groups around here.  Morning groups do pot luck breakfast.   I cook, bake... a lot.  Made 8 loaves of zucchini bread Saturday.  2 batches of chocolate zucchini brownies yesterday.  Canning toms next few days.  I also love to iron.  It's relaxing and satisfying.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Ah... I will be working full time but I just will no longer be able to do front line policing, and possibly very little investigation which I completely love. I just need to find something outside of work that makes me feel like I am accomplishing something - task orientated.

Quoting atlmom2:

I don't work.  Those 2 organizations are my job.  I also scrapbook with a group of friends once a week.  Belong to a ladies social group I am president of also.  I am an empty nester but before I was I did all this also for years and years. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting atlmom2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)