Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should I become a SAHM & ditch school?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this
I need some advice from some SAHM's here. Im a full time college student who just earned my associates degree. I am taking a semester off before beginning my bachelors degree for social work. I work with a lucrative home business with my husband which is doing really well and I'm beginning to wonder if i should just become a SAHM. My life's dream is to become a therapist but lately I've been feeling like I enjoy all this free time I have for my kids and free time I have for their school trips and parent meetings. Between my school schedule, business, QT with hubby and my kids it can be very overwhelming and busy. So any advice would be great on how it is to be a SAHM especially if you went to school and decided to stop to stay home. Thanks ladies
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcsmom1
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:41 AM
3 moms liked this

I have a Bachelor of Science and have been a SAHM since 12-10-99.  I am divorced but my exDH and I have worked out a financial arrangement where I can stay home.

You can always go back to school. You can never get this time back with your children. If you can afford it, go for it!

mrztina
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for your response. The thing is if i leave school now then i don't intend on returning for my BA because i have all the freedom now with my family and my business is making it very affordable for both myself and my hubby to remain home. I just don't want to feel like I'm cutting myself short by not continuing with my dream. Was it an easy decision for you to decide when you became a SAHM?

Quoting mcsmom1:

I have a Bachelor of Science and have been a SAHM since 12-10-99.  I am divorced but my exDH and I have worked out a financial arrangement where I can stay home.

You can always go back to school. You can never get this time back with your children. If you can afford it, go for it!

happinessforyou
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Since you are asking- I would finish school. Maybe switch to business since you are already running your own? You might learn something that will help your business take off.

Or stay the course and become a therapist. You can be a mom and finish school-it just takes a lot of organization on your part. GL

mrztina
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM
2 moms liked this
Thank you. I wouldnt switch to business because i hate business lol. My home based business is very simple for me to do which is why i like it and am doing well. But yes i would remain in my major because i have a passion for it.

Quoting happinessforyou:

Since you are asking- I would finish school. Maybe switch to business since you are already running your own? You might learn something that will help your business take off.

Or stay the course and become a therapist. You can be a mom and finish school-it just takes a lot of organization on your part. GL

mcsmom1
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mrztina:

Thank you for your response. The thing is if i leave school now then i don't intend on returning for my BA because i have all the freedom now with my family and my business is making it very affordable for both myself and my hubby to remain home. I just don't want to feel like I'm cutting myself short by not continuing with my dream. Was it an easy decision for you to decide when you became a SAHM?

Quoting mcsmom1:

Very easy for me, but I knew I would stay home before I got pregnant. I had a SAHM and I knew that was what I wanted to do.

I tried working once. For 6 months. It was a nightmare for me. I was tired, crabby and missed too many of my daughter's activities. I don't know how moms do it!

NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM
5 moms liked this

My education is very important to me.  I did not have kids before finishing my BA because I know how hard it would be to do both at a quality level.  Im not sure I could pick what was more important.  Yes babies grow up and you miss things if you are in school but kids are more expensive as they age.  If you dont have a college degree it will be hard to get one when you have so many other obligations.  I think you have to think of either situation as now or never.  Some women go back to school but most do not. 

Lovingmommy1028
by Vanessa on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this

well you should do what you feel is right for your kids & yourself i think being a stay at home mom is a wonderful time to spend with your kids i say go for it 

mrztina
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Im leaning more towards going back for my bachelors and masters, i will continue to think about it i just really love the idea of having time to spend with my girls, unlimited time to be a part of everything they do in school, taking them to gymnastics and ballet classes, swimming lesson. Everything.
bluebell37
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
If your dream is becoming a therapist then finish school. Don't sell yourself short. I know staying at home with your children is important try taking online courses that way you are at home plus in college. It will be hard, but I know you can do it. There are online Social Work programs. I know your business is going well, but what if... You will have an education to fall back upon. Just my two cents :-)
RockyMtnMom14
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:41 PM
3 moms liked this

If I were you I would work on finishing my degree, even if it means taking one class at a time - especially since being a therapist is your life's dream.  Don't give up on that.  You may enjoy the free time now but you never know what will happen or how you will feel in the future.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)