Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is it rude to open gifts in front of party guests?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 149 Replies
1 mom liked this

I grew up in an age where parties for birthdays were small, intimate affairs with only family and maybe a few close friends, so we'd always open our birthday presents with everyone there to see our reaction, just like at Christmas, baby showers, or bridal showers. The only time we didn't open gifts in front of guests was at a wedding.

Nowadays, though, birthday parties seem to be big, crazy events with dozens of kids invited and the gifts tend to be piled up in one area to be opened by the birthday boy or girl after everyone has gone home. This seems really weird to me, but I'm hearing more and more people say that it's rude to open presents in front of the givers.

Is it because they're no longer intimate affairs and are so large like a wedding that so many have made this shift? Do you think it's rude to open gifts in front of your guests?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM
12 moms liked this

I always opened them in front of everyone so I could thank them. Made the boy do the same. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM
30 moms liked this
It is rude to not open them to me. It is rude to invite so many guests you don't have time to open them.
catevincesmom
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM
2 moms liked this

We've always had ours just small gatherings, so we always open our presents in front of the guests.  Exception being our wedding.  I like when the host/ess opens presents in front of everyone.  I like seeing the honest reactions. 

mbc324
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I always alloted 30 minutes of the party to opening gifts. I saw the excitement in my sons friends when they got to see everything he got and see how he liked their gift. They each got a personal thank you after he opened their gift.

cupcake_mom
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this
I def want to see the reaction on their face to my gift
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM
4 moms liked this
Gifts should be opened in front of guests. I only excuse that rule when people have parties at a venue with a time limit.
Jasuzha
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM
6 moms liked this
I think its rude not to open the gifts in front of the guests. The reaction upon opening it is part of the fun. If I put all the time and thought into buying a gift I would feel robbed if I didn't get to see that reaction.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it's more appropriate to open them in front of guests, so the guest can have the joy of witnessing him opening it.  And then thank them properly afterwards too..

drives me nuts when present are brought home unopened...never know if the kid got it nor not, as no thank you note was ever received

GrinningCheese
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM
I don't think it's rude. Maybe the parents don't want the chaos. My niece's party last year two girls (royal brats) 'helped' while her half sister was right there in the middle of everything getting in the way. They made things twice as long and then my niece had to hug everyone to thank them (her own choice) so that took a lot longer too. I don't think everyone should have the party put on hold so rude kids (parents weren't there just older brother) can insist on being in the middle of everything. the half sisters parents weren't there and only sib was the birthday girl. That brat needed to be put in her place which is probably why she didn't come to this last party.
Kriskash25
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM

We always open the gifts infront of the guests! Wedding being the exception! I want to see the look on the persons face when they open gifts, also I want to be able to thank each peron individually when we open other's gifts!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN