Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

tax for using plastic bags??

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

apparently here in pa...the state is trying to pass a bill that will charge a 2 cent tax for using plastic bags when checking out.

anyone else have this tax or anyone else here about this?

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PaxtonKy
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Yes, here in San Francisco, CA, there is a plastic bag ban. Stores are supposed to use paper only, the larger pharmacies and grocery stores all use paper only and it is 10 cents if you want a bag. The smaller mom&pop/family run corner/convenience stores still use plastic, they are thicker and made to be reused, and also cost 10 cents.
This is to encourage being environmentally responsible and use cloth bags to cut back on plastic bags in landfills.

disastermind
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I don't think we have that but I do think it's a good idea. If people don't like it, maybe they'll start using reusable bags.

my4boys2002
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM
We don't have that here in MA
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:19 PM
We don't have a penalty, but if you bring reusable bags you get 5 cents for each bag you use.
shoot4thestars
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I live in PA and I haven't heard about that yet.  When's is this supposed to start?  It's not a big deal to me, I'm just curious.

Princess111201
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:49 AM
I'm not really sure. All I know is they had it on the news a few times.

Quoting shoot4thestars:

I live in PA and I haven't heard about that yet.  When's is this supposed to start?  It's not a big deal to me, I'm just curious.

CLEKate
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Certain parts of Maryland have this as well.  And I ran into in while in Paris a few years back.

It encourages people to reuse what they have or buy the bags that can be used over and over again.

I think it's a good idea.  We do need to reduce the amount of these bags going into our landfills.

kryjen
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

The bags are recyclable.  Just an FYI.

cupcake_mom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Maybe if they didn't make reuseable bags so expensive people would buy and use them more. I'm too poor to spend and extra$5 per bag when I only shop once a month and have at least 2carts of food. The upfront cost is too much for us

Quoting disastermind:

I don't think we have that but I do think it's a good idea. If people don't like it, maybe they'll start using reusable bags.

cupcake_mom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM
If people would recycle said bags they wouldn't end up in a landfill. They could be melted back down and made into new bags or something else

Quoting CLEKate:

Certain parts of Maryland have this as well.  And I ran into in while in Paris a few years back.

It encourages people to reuse what they have or buy the bags that can be used over and over again.

I think it's a good idea.  We do need to reduce the amount of these bags going into our landfills.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN