Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you think it's right to circumcise a baby boy?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM
  • 59 Replies

When I Circumsise My Son, He May Lose More Than Just a Little Skin

by David Serchuk

baby feetSo, yeah, we’re getting the boy’s little wee-wee snipped. In the most holy and appropriate of ways, of course! But there’s no way around it. I, the dad, am going to hire someone to remove a part of my son’s little baby penis.

The best part of it, or maybe the worst, is that he’s only going to be eight days old when it happens. Because that’s how things are done in Judaism. The little dude comes out, gets a week under his belt with his unit intact, and then we remove part of it. If we didn’t do that he couldn’t be considered part of the Jewish religion, which is a pretty big deal. Seeing as how, you know, we’re Jewish. But I have mixed feelings about circumcision.

On the pro side he gets to be Jewish, which is good. I’m proud of my people. Our success, our compassion, our domination of the Nobel Prizes for Medicine and Physics. (Seriously, we’re like the friggin New York Yankees on those.)

But the ritual upsets me a bit. One, the kid is losing part of his penis. Can’t get around that. For a dude this is major. Certainly this guy is peeved about it.

Second, maybe, maybe he’s going to lose some of the feeling associated with sex. Although this has been debated, back and forth.

Third, why is this still even all that important to the religion? Whereas once upon a time you could argue that foreskins got dirty, you know, 2000 thousand years ago. Now there are modern advances in technology to make sure that doesn’t happen. Like soap.

But the religion says to do it, and I want him to be part of the religion, so do it we shall. The odd part is that I’m not even particularly religious, and I’m not a big fan of simply doing something because a religion says so. That leads to all kinds of terrible things, including terrorism, Crusades, the Neil Diamond version of the Jazz Singer, the list is endless.  

Nonetheless, it shall be done, and afterwards he shall officially join the Jewish religion. He won’t know this because, thankfully, he’ll be out cold. But, I imagine, he might have some questions for me later.  

Do you think it's right to circumcise a baby boy?

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Didn't bother to read the article b/c I personally think it's a personal decision and there is no right or wrong.

Goddesswillow
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM

i think its stupid and shouldn't be done, there is no reason for it, and i feel reigion isn't a good enough reason to do something, but I'm not going to tell others not to, I'm not going to judge, and i know how important religion is to some people

Tracylynn100
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Both my boys are, both adults, neither has complained.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Yes, it is fine.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, I think it's right to circumcise. And I think it's right not to circumcise. I think it's a parents choice.

sirkokobean
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM

it is healthier for the baby, they have less bladder and protate problems as adults (this has been researched)

hds_02
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I think there is no right or wrong decision here, but if we ever have a boy, he will be.

allrighty
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you think it's right to circumcise a baby girl?

My husband's family is in Egypt where female circumcision is common.  We have had these discussions before.  They don't want to give up female circumcision and list many of the same reasons Americans circumcise their boys - especially "parental choice".

No, I don't think it's right to circumcise children.  However the people that do, often believe circumcision prevents HIV, cancer, etc.  However, even if it did, these are adult deseases and do not have any benefit to a baby.  Let the child become an adult, then they can decide for themselves.  

IhartU
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM
2 moms liked this

Absolutely NOT. It accepted mutilation. I know many women- including myself who felt they were FORCED into having their sons circumsized. It should be BANNED and that includes for religious reasons.

lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM

For MY boys, no I do not think it's right. 

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN