Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

school functions

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM
  • 12 Replies

My oldest son is going to be in a school concert and he desperately wants his father to be there. He desperately wants a father and craves his dad to be there but his dad doesn't want to be there. My son asked if he could call his dad and invite him and I told him it just doesn't seem like a good idea because I know for a fact he will say no. Did I handle this situation the right way? 

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I would let him call. Maybe he could voice his disappointment and "dad" would change his mind. My hearts breaks for your son.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM

well, how old is yr son?

AAP1988
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Turning 7 

Quoting Anonymous:

well, how old is yr son?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Let his dad be the bad guy.  Not you for not letting him call. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

im sorry you are dealing w/this, my oldest dd is going through the very samething w/her ex, the counselor told her that the ex needs to be held accountable for his actions and to be accountable for his no shows etc  i guess make him look like the bad guy, i know as a mom you want to protect him from getting hurt but i would tell him that you changed yr mind and that he can call his dad to ask him.

Quoting AAP1988:

Turning 7 

Quoting Anonymous:

well, how old is yr son?

abecee
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I would let him call and talk to his dad. 

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM

No, I don't think you did.  You should have let him call his father and tell him how much it would mean to him to have him there.  You never know, your ex may have surprised you.

AAP1988
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I doubt my ex would surprise me. 

Quoting dingysfamily:

No, I don't think you did.  You should have let him call his father and tell him how much it would mean to him to have him there.  You never know, your ex may have surprised you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM
let him call
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
You and your kid need therapy.

Him to recover from you being so intense and to understand that dad is not always around.

You to get over your ex and move on with your life. If you deal with the father situation at home the same way as on CF, then you are setting your kid for a life of failure and turning him neurotic.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)