Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Alcohol at a toddler's party??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 437 Replies
2 moms liked this

At a friend's house this weekend for her son's 3rd birthday party, several adults were walking around with beer in hand. Is it just me, or is that wrong?  Why would you serve booze at a kids' party??

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsSamMerlotte
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM
44 moms liked this

You are right!!  It is wrong!  You are soooo much better than they are! 

Is that what you wanted to hear?

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM
4 moms liked this

I think thats wrong too.

PEEK05
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM
6 moms liked this

I dislike that.  My husband and I do not drink alcohol, so we don't ever serve alcohol.

lilblu399
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM
12 moms liked this
As long as no one was drunk or leaving bottles and cans around.
I know at my family's parties, the drinkers stay in the back of the house. while the kids are everywhere else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maries_Mom23
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM
6 moms liked this

Personally, I never have had alcohol at my child's party and I wouldn't have it in the future.  I have never attended a child's party where alcohol was served.  I don't see the point, really.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM
4 moms liked this
I would not do it. Heck, I think it is tacky for adults to drink at a graduation open house/party.
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM
34 moms liked this
We serve at parties where children are present. It's not tacky at all. It's catering to the adults who are required to attend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matofour
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:59 PM
46 moms liked this
Did the three year olds have beer?

No?!

Well then who cares.

My husband and I rarely drink (I think I haven't had a drink in at least four years!) but, we offer wine, and beer at parties. Parties aren't just for kids.
We have a close knit group of friends, who get together for most occasions. And the adults like to drink, no one has ever left drunk, no one has ever had too much.
Having beer at a party doesn't mean the kids are drinking it.

My friends (and my husbands) are adults, and responsible. If there was ever a problem we may re think it. But, never has there been a problem (my oldest is almost 12). I guess we
Have responsible adult friends who can have a drink or two at a party and still be a parent.

This debate drives me insane. Having beer around a child won't make them an alcoholic. Heck, it teaches a child they can drink and be responsible.
Not drink until they pass out@@
NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM
3 moms liked this

Is it a family party or a kids only party?  We offer wine and beer at all parties where adults are guests unless there are unsupervised minors, as in the case of my daughters graduation party.  We got kegs of root beer though.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM
20 moms liked this
I never offer alcohol at parties geared towards children.
If an adult can't manage to go a few hours without alcohol, then they should probably rethink their priorities.

If I invite you to my kids party, you can wait until you leave, to go drink....I don't drink around my kids and in don't allow others to either, when its a function that I'm paying for.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)