Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Alcohol at a toddler's party??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

At a friend's house this weekend for her son's 3rd birthday party, several adults were walking around with beer in hand. Is it just me, or is that wrong?  Why would you serve booze at a kids' party??

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Replies (431-437):
newbieann
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I don't think it's wrong. Long as nobody is being belligerent or driving drunk with kids in the car. 

MooseMomma
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:36 PM
I feel that if the reason for the party is to celebrate a small child then there shouldn't be alcohol present. If you are having a general family party that kids will be at, that is a different story and it doesn't bother me if alcohol is served.
Skye24
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Was it a BBQ , etc ? Not that big a deal . Unless it was a party , party --loud music ---people getting drunk , falling all over one another , etc  That is unexceptable . To some people a beer is no different than a soda . if you were uncomfortable ...you should have simply left and considered this a lesson learned .

MrsSamMerlotte
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Well then.  I guess you win.

Quoting Anonymous: Disagree. People should be able to refrain from drinking at a toddlers party.

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

Quoting Megzboys:

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

You are right!!  It is wrong!  You are soooo much better than they are! 

Is that what you wanted to hear?

We are not talking about a party that is for adutls!    We are talking about whether it is RIGHT OR WRONG to serve it at a child's party!    The OP was not saying that she is better then other people for crying out loud.    The issue  is adults need to be able to cope with not drinking at a child's party.    Personally, if you realize that a certain friend can not seem to part with their drink long enough to spend time at a child's party which is usually only 2 hours or even a little less, then do not invite them.    This elliminates the worry that they would not be safe to drive home later.   

Why wont this post die? 

I dont think there is a problem with serving alcohol at a childs birthday party, and it has nothing to do with coping with not drinking for a few hours.  Some people like to have a few drinks, so be it.  It isnt like they are getting drunk.  They arent dacing on the cake with a light shade on their head. 

So all in all, if you personally do not like the idea of beers at a kids birthday, then dont do it.  But if other people do decide to serve a few beers, especually if it is a cookout, then that doesnt make them bad people.  You arent better than them, you dont have more morals than they do.  It is a personal preference. It should be common sense that there is nothing wrong with it, unless adults are getting wasted.

squeekumsaus
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Lol, you know my weeks been rather dull and your assesments of me have been making me laugh, so I thank you.

So dying my hair is some rebellion thing? Nah I just like the colour. 'normal' colours bore me

Yeah I was an alcho so young, No shame here sorry, you didnt hurt me

I beat it myself and now know that 1 or 2 is enough for me, how to stop, say no and no drinking daily or even weekly. I didnt drink from 16 to 24 actually. 

How can you say I dont want better, I want her to know that it is possible to have 1 or 2 and be a normal person. Its not some taboo thing. That a responsable person can judge their own limits

Drinking culture is much different here. I really think you fail to see that. I think you would have a heart attack if you saw how much drinking is done at family functions here

Here its the norm for adults to have 1 or 2 at most social function, yes including kids parties. Eyebrows get raised when there is a "no alcohol' tag at bottom of an invite

Oh but please feel free to keep assessing me, im having a great laugh

Quoting jessi2girls:

Yes dear you have issues. You were an alcoholic by the age of 16, because your father forced you to drink, among your rough upbringing(I sympathize, can't be easy to lose a mom so young, deal with rape. Etc. I was raped myself so my sympathy isn't sarcastic). 

Can't be easy, but dying your hair purple, making fun of someone for putting on heels, and going out without the kid to party or even with the kid there is NOT healthy.

Nor is drinking or smoking while pregnant.

As a former alcoholic you know you shouldn't be drinking or you will end up back where you were, so stop making excuses, seek professional help for your drinking problems and your past. Why continue to use alcohol as a crutch for your pain?

It's effects more people than you know. I know, it upsets you that you got called out for being an alcoholic, but you are one, so you can't begin to understand what responsible drinking is. 

Look at your daughter and ask her if you want the same life for her? 

I know i wouldn't. I use to have your same mindset as a teenager.. But drinking does effect those around you.. the difference is I grew up, had kids and knew I didn't want the same life for my kids. I wanted better.

So yes, if growing up and being responsible and abstaining from drinking around my kids makes me a martyr, I will proudly wear that label because I know my kids will be better for it. I'd much rather wear that label, than be labeled an alcoholic whose relapsed and in denial.

Quoting squeekumsaus:

Lol, Oh yes Me Haz Issuez lol

No I just realise that it is entirely possible to be responsible and have a drink

Not everyone is a wanker when they drink

Seems you dont like people choosing how they live their life when it has zero effect on you

Quoting jessi2girls:

If you want to drink yourself to death in the privacy of your own home, I really don't care. Your body, your choice..

BUT, when you are going to a child's party, and exposing children to it unnecessarily, and putting those same children at risk when they get in the car with their parents, as well as putting those on the road ways at risk.. THEN I have an issue with it, because it affects others. 

As I said, if you want to drink, there are ways to do so responsibly. And I have no issues with someone who drinks responsibly or in the privacy of their own home, so long as they don't put others at risk.

Clearly you have issues being a responsible adult, which is the real issue here. 

Quoting squeekumsaus:

Wouldnt it be easier for you to admit people live differently and thats ok

No one is forcing you to drink and if they are yes be pissed

How alcohol affects you and how it reads on a breathalyzer comes down to how you metabaloise it in your body, some people faster than others. SO 1 drink may put someone over but not others

Quoting jessi2girls:

http://www.attorneydwi.com/bacperdrink.html

Yes dear, one drink can put you at or over the legal limit. For a cdl licence. It can out you at or over in some states too, which have a legal limit of .05. Again it varies by state. 

Not wrong I'm very much correct here. 

That said, different countries allow different alcohol content in their drinks. Canadian beer for example contains slightly more than the average Canadian beer, and Australia beer also contains more alcohol than American beer. And since the other poster is from Australia that is what I was focusing on. One drink will put you over the legal limit in Australia.

So, as you can see, a drink can put you at or above the legal limits.  Read these laws if you are at or over .04 or .05 or .08 (pending on state and your type of license) you can get arrested.

Now, even if you are below .04 (for a cdl driver) or .05/.08(pending on your state)...you can still get arrested for drinking and driving if 1- you are under age, 2- driving transportation like a school bus, etc, 3-in a motor vehicle accident that results in injuries or death. 

The fact that you serve alcohol at EVERY function is disturbing to say the least and I don't buy that every person only has one or two. So yes you are putting others in the,road way at risk. 

I'm not over reacting at all about this. It's called responsibility, something some of you seriously seem to lack. There are times and places to drink and responsible actions one should take if they are going to drink. You drive home with your kids and crash because your car skidded on black ice... And you only had a beer and even waited a half hour... your kids best friend was in the backseat and got ejected and died, guess what, even though you were legal to drive, because the half hour wait left you at only .02 or .03, you still will be responsible for that girls death and could not only see jail time for that and that little bit of alcohol, but you could risk losing your kids too.

You drive down the road after half a beer and an old lady pulls in front of you and you crash, she has a heart attack and dies in her vehicle, you are now facing up to a year in jail. (No, I'm not joking, my dad's friend stopped by after work, had half a beer here and headed home, thinking just like you... that he's legal so was safe... well he spent a year in jail).

Don't be so comfortable with drinking, be responsible, know the laws, and know the extra strikes. 

I seriously hope the friends you have don't drive if they are at home drinking and decide to take the kids out for a treat, or has to take one of them home for one reason or another. 

The number one killer of kids is motor vehicle accidents... so I'm not being overly dramatic, it's a serious problem...

A drunk driver driving home from a party like the ops with his five year old son nearly killed me and my baby. Perhaps if his so called friends hadn't served alcohol at a child's party or if they had even bothered to count the number of beers/drinks he had, they would have stopped him.. 

But let's face it, you can't watch everyone, and you make mistakes, but that mistake nearly killed four people.

So yes, I'm passionate about this topic because it's parties like your that nearly killed me and my daughter abd that five year old boy and his dad

I'm not against drinking, I'm against stupidity and lack of responsibility. 

If you and your hubby want to go out for a drink.. call a cab home or have one of you stay sober.. problem solved. Don't drink at a kids party, there is no reason alcohol should be served at a child's party, especially when you are far more busy monitoring the kids, and will fail to notice when one parent had to much and packs up their kid to leave. Not to mention it sets a very bad example for the kids about drinking. 

Responsibility, if you don't have any, don't drink. 

Quoting fullxbusymom:

P.S. One drink will NOT put you over .05 Ho ..w do I know this?  My husband has a CDL and can only have .04 and is allowed one drink and not be over.  So you are wrong. 

It is legal in every state as long as you are below the legal limit. 

Yup we do and will continue to offer alcohol.  Don't want it don't drink it.  No biggie.  Alcohol is ALWAYS served at every event it is common practice.  Is not irresponsible.  One or two drinks which is all our friends or family ever drink  isn't going to kill someone and your dramatic over reaction makes me chuckle.

Oh and yes over 4 or 5 hrs with one or two drinks the first drink is already gone and probably the second pretty close as well.  Oh and I allow my kids to sleep over peoples homes that will have a couple of drinks with ZERO concern.  Nobody is DRUNK.  So stop being so dramatic. 

I go out to eat with my kids all the time and will have a glass of wine with dinner and drive with ZERO issue.  I am not drunk.  Actually my kids have NEVER and the oldest two are teenagers seen me drunk.  I only drink responsibly and that is all they have ever seen. 

Quoting jessi2girls:

Read again.. I"m not referring to the US.. I'm talking about Australia, where the other mom is from, where the legal limit is .05, which one drink will put you at or over. In Australia, police can set up random road blocks to test randomly without probable cause, or can just randomly pull you over and make you submit.

In the US however, you are wrong.. it varies by state for one.. different states have different laws.. and it is quite illegal in some states to have a child in the vehicle with you if you have even one drink.  (Check your state laws). 

Those are the laws..

That said.. There is absolutely NO excuse to have alcohol at a toddlers or kids birthday party at all.   If you want to have a glass of wine (or whatever your preferance is) when the parents and kids leave.. that's up to you. But to serve alcohol to these adults, who are going to be driving home with these kids, is beyond irresponsible. To go to a party like this and accept alcohol is irresponsible.  Do you know how many kids die every year because idiots think they are safe to drive with their kids in the car, from parties like these? More than you'd like to know.

IF you want to drink.. go out after, get a dd, and a babysitter for the kids and go to an ADULT party.. or stay home and have a few.. be responsible. Don't subject kids to the risk of getting in a car with someone who's had too many.   

It really isn't that hard to do!

How is your kid going to feel if they find out on Monday morning that their best friend road home with their mom, who had one too many at her birthday party, is now dead because you decided it's cool to serve alcohol at your child's birthday party?

Or worse, Let's say it's a sleep over, and your kid is there, and there is drinking, and the parent or a parent decides they want to take the kids out for a late night treat, and crashes the car with your kid inside of it?

There is too much blood in my coffee system

angl_gurl1
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:16 PM

i dont know how wrong it is but it does seem inappropriate for a childs birthday party

jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:10 AM

It's truly sad you find being an alcoholic who's slowly relapsing as amusing...

How can any mother who suffered being an alcoholic in any way encourage drinking??? You do realize being an alcoholic can be hereditary? That even one drink here and there can push an alcoholic to sink back to excessive amounts until they fall back into their drunk holes..

You already said how much you love to party and how much you go out to party...

Laugh all you want but you are in classic denial and relapsing. Your posting here contradicts much of what you've said in the past.. I'm sorry your circle of friends and family has you brainwashed that drinking like you do is okay. But it's not the norm. You need to attend aa or rehab before it gets bad again.

Quoting squeekumsaus:

Lol, you know my weeks been rather dull and your assesments of me have been making me laugh, so I thank you.

So dying my hair is some rebellion thing? Nah I just like the colour. 'normal' colours bore me

Yeah I was an alcho so young, No shame here sorry, you didnt hurt me

I beat it myself and now know that 1 or 2 is enough for me, how to stop, say no and no drinking daily or even weekly. I didnt drink from 16 to 24 actually. 

How can you say I dont want better, I want her to know that it is possible to have 1 or 2 and be a normal person. Its not some taboo thing. That a responsable person can judge their own limits

Drinking culture is much different here. I really think you fail to see that. I think you would have a heart attack if you saw how much drinking is done at family functions here

Here its the norm for adults to have 1 or 2 at most social function, yes including kids parties. Eyebrows get raised when there is a "no alcohol' tag at bottom of an invite

Oh but please feel free to keep assessing me, im having a great laugh

Quoting jessi2girls:

Yes dear you have issues. You were an alcoholic by the age of 16, because your father forced you to drink, among your rough upbringing(I sympathize, can't be easy to lose a mom so young, deal with rape. Etc. I was raped myself so my sympathy isn't sarcastic). 

Can't be easy, but dying your hair purple, making fun of someone for putting on heels, and going out without the kid to party or even with the kid there is NOT healthy.

Nor is drinking or smoking while pregnant.

As a former alcoholic you know you shouldn't be drinking or you will end up back where you were, so stop making excuses, seek professional help for your drinking problems and your past. Why continue to use alcohol as a crutch for your pain?

It's effects more people than you know. I know, it upsets you that you got called out for being an alcoholic, but you are one, so you can't begin to understand what responsible drinking is. 

Look at your daughter and ask her if you want the same life for her? 

I know i wouldn't. I use to have your same mindset as a teenager.. But drinking does effect those around you.. the difference is I grew up, had kids and knew I didn't want the same life for my kids. I wanted better.

So yes, if growing up and being responsible and abstaining from drinking around my kids makes me a martyr, I will proudly wear that label because I know my kids will be better for it. I'd much rather wear that label, than be labeled an alcoholic whose relapsed and in denial.

Quoting squeekumsaus:

Lol, Oh yes Me Haz Issuez lol

No I just realise that it is entirely possible to be responsible and have a drink

Not everyone is a wanker when they drink

Seems you dont like people choosing how they live their life when it has zero effect on you

Quoting jessi2girls:

If you want to drink yourself to death in the privacy of your own home, I really don't care. Your body, your choice..

BUT, when you are going to a child's party, and exposing children to it unnecessarily, and putting those same children at risk when they get in the car with their parents, as well as putting those on the road ways at risk.. THEN I have an issue with it, because it affects others. 

As I said, if you want to drink, there are ways to do so responsibly. And I have no issues with someone who drinks responsibly or in the privacy of their own home, so long as they don't put others at risk.

Clearly you have issues being a responsible adult, which is the real issue here. 

Quoting squeekumsaus:

Wouldnt it be easier for you to admit people live differently and thats ok

No one is forcing you to drink and if they are yes be pissed

How alcohol affects you and how it reads on a breathalyzer comes down to how you metabaloise it in your body, some people faster than others. SO 1 drink may put someone over but not others

Quoting jessi2girls:

http://www.attorneydwi.com/bacperdrink.html

Yes dear, one drink can put you at or over the legal limit. For a cdl licence. It can out you at or over in some states too, which have a legal limit of .05. Again it varies by state. 

Not wrong I'm very much correct here. 

That said, different countries allow different alcohol content in their drinks. Canadian beer for example contains slightly more than the average Canadian beer, and Australia beer also contains more alcohol than American beer. And since the other poster is from Australia that is what I was focusing on. One drink will put you over the legal limit in Australia.

So, as you can see, a drink can put you at or above the legal limits.  Read these laws if you are at or over .04 or .05 or .08 (pending on state and your type of license) you can get arrested.

Now, even if you are below .04 (for a cdl driver) or .05/.08(pending on your state)...you can still get arrested for drinking and driving if 1- you are under age, 2- driving transportation like a school bus, etc, 3-in a motor vehicle accident that results in injuries or death. 

The fact that you serve alcohol at EVERY function is disturbing to say the least and I don't buy that every person only has one or two. So yes you are putting others in the,road way at risk. 

I'm not over reacting at all about this. It's called responsibility, something some of you seriously seem to lack. There are times and places to drink and responsible actions one should take if they are going to drink. You drive home with your kids and crash because your car skidded on black ice... And you only had a beer and even waited a half hour... your kids best friend was in the backseat and got ejected and died, guess what, even though you were legal to drive, because the half hour wait left you at only .02 or .03, you still will be responsible for that girls death and could not only see jail time for that and that little bit of alcohol, but you could risk losing your kids too.

You drive down the road after half a beer and an old lady pulls in front of you and you crash, she has a heart attack and dies in her vehicle, you are now facing up to a year in jail. (No, I'm not joking, my dad's friend stopped by after work, had half a beer here and headed home, thinking just like you... that he's legal so was safe... well he spent a year in jail).

Don't be so comfortable with drinking, be responsible, know the laws, and know the extra strikes. 

I seriously hope the friends you have don't drive if they are at home drinking and decide to take the kids out for a treat, or has to take one of them home for one reason or another. 

The number one killer of kids is motor vehicle accidents... so I'm not being overly dramatic, it's a serious problem...

A drunk driver driving home from a party like the ops with his five year old son nearly killed me and my baby. Perhaps if his so called friends hadn't served alcohol at a child's party or if they had even bothered to count the number of beers/drinks he had, they would have stopped him.. 

But let's face it, you can't watch everyone, and you make mistakes, but that mistake nearly killed four people.

So yes, I'm passionate about this topic because it's parties like your that nearly killed me and my daughter abd that five year old boy and his dad

I'm not against drinking, I'm against stupidity and lack of responsibility. 

If you and your hubby want to go out for a drink.. call a cab home or have one of you stay sober.. problem solved. Don't drink at a kids party, there is no reason alcohol should be served at a child's party, especially when you are far more busy monitoring the kids, and will fail to notice when one parent had to much and packs up their kid to leave. Not to mention it sets a very bad example for the kids about drinking. 

Responsibility, if you don't have any, don't drink. 

Quoting fullxbusymom:

P.S. One drink will NOT put you over .05 Ho ..w do I know this?  My husband has a CDL and can only have .04 and is allowed one drink and not be over.  So you are wrong. 

It is legal in every state as long as you are below the legal limit. 

Yup we do and will continue to offer alcohol.  Don't want it don't drink it.  No biggie.  Alcohol is ALWAYS served at every event it is common practice.  Is not irresponsible.  One or two drinks which is all our friends or family ever drink  isn't going to kill someone and your dramatic over reaction makes me chuckle.

Oh and yes over 4 or 5 hrs with one or two drinks the first drink is already gone and probably the second pretty close as well.  Oh and I allow my kids to sleep over peoples homes that will have a couple of drinks with ZERO concern.  Nobody is DRUNK.  So stop being so dramatic. 

I go out to eat with my kids all the time and will have a glass of wine with dinner and drive with ZERO issue.  I am not drunk.  Actually my kids have NEVER and the oldest two are teenagers seen me drunk.  I only drink responsibly and that is all they have ever seen. 

Quoting jessi2girls:

Read again.. I"m not referring to the US.. I'm talking about Australia, where the other mom is from, where the legal limit is .05, which one drink will put you at or over. In Australia, police can set up random road blocks to test randomly without probable cause, or can just randomly pull you over and make you submit.

In the US however, you are wrong.. it varies by state for one.. different states have different laws.. and it is quite illegal in some states to have a child in the vehicle with you if you have even one drink.  (Check your state laws). 

Those are the laws..

That said.. There is absolutely NO excuse to have alcohol at a toddlers or kids birthday party at all.   If you want to have a glass of wine (or whatever your preferance is) when the parents and kids leave.. that's up to you. But to serve alcohol to these adults, who are going to be driving home with these kids, is beyond irresponsible. To go to a party like this and accept alcohol is irresponsible.  Do you know how many kids die every year because idiots think they are safe to drive with their kids in the car, from parties like these? More than you'd like to know.

IF you want to drink.. go out after, get a dd, and a babysitter for the kids and go to an ADULT party.. or stay home and have a few.. be responsible. Don't subject kids to the risk of getting in a car with someone who's had too many.   

It really isn't that hard to do!

How is your kid going to feel if they find out on Monday morning that their best friend road home with their mom, who had one too many at her birthday party, is now dead because you decided it's cool to serve alcohol at your child's birthday party?

Or worse, Let's say it's a sleep over, and your kid is there, and there is drinking, and the parent or a parent decides they want to take the kids out for a late night treat, and crashes the car with your kid inside of it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)