Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What would you do if someone tried to correct your child's name?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies

I saw this on Confessions, a lady said her daughter's teacher keeps trying to make her spell her nickname one way even though she's been spelling it another way since birth. The mom even said something to her and the teacher got an attitude and said it was going to be spelled THIS way and she'd best get used to it.

What would YOU do if someone tried to "correct" the spelling of your child's name or nickname?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
susannah2000
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM
5 moms liked this

There was an update on that, in which the woman said she is meeting with the principal today.. Good thing. Not only did she refuse to acknowledge the different spelling, but she told the child she was wrong for spelling it that way and shamed her for not spelling her name "correctly." This is a kindergarten teacher. She sounds like an absolute HAG. No one should get away with trying to "correct" a child's name. It is the first way a child perceives self identity, the first thing they know about themselves. It boggles my mind that a teacher would tell a child her name, and her, were wrong.

Sister_Someone
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, I would correct that person's attitude and tell them that actually THIS is the way it's been spelled since my child was born, and that's how it's gonna stay, so they'd best grow up and suck it the fuck up.

Laidbackmommy3
by New Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM

When in first grade my teacher continually took points off my grades because my name was spelled "wrong". My mother had to take my birth certificate to the principle to make it stop. The teacher continued to find things to nit pick me for, because she was angry at being proven wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd laugh if they tried, since my Son has a classic name. Either way, no one has any place to try to teach someone else's child to spell their name differently, just because they think the name should be spelled a certain way.
piesmama09
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM

My daughter's name is Morgan and people always change it to Megan. That's nice and all, but it's not her f-ing name!

wingsfan1234
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM
my daughters name is Lilyan and gets that sometimes, also with Lily they always want to had an ā€lā€
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM
It better be spelled the way i choose to spell it. and i would report the teacher to the school board
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Some of these dumb names and spellings are awful. That being said the teachers need to correct it.

My dd has a normal name on which many mispronounce it. She would correct them once. After that she went by the wrong name.
mariesmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM

my child is named marie its been spelled maria countless times

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell them to back the hell off, that this is not THEIR child, it is MY child, and I and I alone determine the spelling if their name, period, end of story. Period. I might have said that already lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN