Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What would you do if someone tried to correct your child's name?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I saw this on Confessions, a lady said her daughter's teacher keeps trying to make her spell her nickname one way even though she's been spelling it another way since birth. The mom even said something to her and the teacher got an attitude and said it was going to be spelled THIS way and she'd best get used to it.

What would YOU do if someone tried to "correct" the spelling of your child's name or nickname?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Replies (71-78):
kpalmer282
by New Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:02 AM

this happens to me all the time  with my daughter and i just tell them thats not how its spelled but my baby girl is at a age where she will tell them thats not how mommy spells it is very aggrevating but i just keep correcting them

romalove
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Quoting nova.mommy:

My DD is Sarah.  I often get people who write it as Sara.  If they hear it, I understand some may spell it Sara.  What gets me are the ones who see it spelled Sarah and then have a fit because it is spelled strange/unique with the 'h' at the end.  I guess they never read the bible,

BTW my name is Kristi, and spelled that way.  Almost no one spells it right.  I am much older than the ice skater, so no I was not named after her.  

I had many, many people say it is spelled wrong and even had a teacher in junior high start an argument with me that 'Kristi' was my nickname not my real name.  I even told her it would not be printed that way in the grade book(which only had full name-not nicknames) otherwise, she relented some but would not drop it.  When I finally told her I could bring in my birth certificate so she could see for herself, she dropped it.

I have a party business, and I do personalized gift bags for kids.  I have to have every parent spell their kid's name, no matter how "ordinary" it may seem.  I have seen "Emma" spelled "Emmaeh" and I have seen Kristi spelled "Christy", "Christi", "Christie", "Kristie", "Kristy", etc.

For some reason, though, whenever I see Kirsten I think they misspelled Kristen, lol.

HaleysMom10
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM
My Childs name will be spelled the way I had it put on her birth certificate. If I had to go to the school board I would. No one would ever get away with telling My child her name is spelled wrong. We may not agree with how some people spell their kids names or even agree with the names they have given their kids but that gives no one the right to tell you that your name is spelled wrong and try to force you to change it.
AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I'd laugh in their face. My youngest's name is Amanda. We call her Mandee. If someone told her her name was Mandy she'd look at them like they were nuts. Also my oldest is Kiara but we call her Keke not KiKi. I dare someone to tell me it's wrong.

Connie04
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Well, you should only have to mention it to the person once and they should stop.  It's not their business how you choose to spell your kid's name, so they should just accept it and not try to change it. 

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:46 AM

My oldest son's preschgool teacher did this.  His name is Frisko, yes with a "K".  i took his birth certificate to her and told her it is a k because k looks cooler now deal with it or lose our business.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Didnt we discuss this in the first post? Why are you  taking over someone else's post? Get your own problems! 

cheetah90210
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 4:03 AM
That sounds like it was a troll
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)