Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I am so aggravated. I can't get in touch with the animal control officer. Picture, don't look if bats freak you out. UPDATE

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 40 Replies

This poor little thing has been on my porch for hours. He is breathing, eyes open, but not moving. I have read that paralysis is a sign of rabies in bats and that it is a likely cause if the bat is lying on the ground. Trying to get animal control in this town is like trying to get through to the president. You can never get them. I don't know what to do. I don't want to touch it because I don't know if it can move or not, if it is sick, injured, ............a baby. I tried contacting a state wildlife agency to ask advice, left a message. 

Update, the animal control officer came that afternoon and when she went to put him in a container, he spread his winds and opened his mouth. I had no intention of killing it. I wouldn't have even called had it been hanging from the ceiling of my porch. My concern was that he was on the ground. It is rare for a bat to be rabid, 1 out of 1000, BUT, 1 out of 10 that are found on the ground are found to be rabid. It could have been sick with something else, injured, or just very young and not able to fly away. I like bats as long as they aren't in my house or on the floor of my porch. :)

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Do your kids need to walk by it to get in your house? Keep calling. I would put a bucket over it in case the kids try to touch it
JTE11
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Do you have any rescue groups around? Nature centers or reserves? Sometimes they can be helpful. Don't touch the bat, obviously. You should probably contact the department of public health in your area/county to report exposure to a bat.

Gingered
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Quoting poshkat:

Do your kids need to walk by it to get in your house? Keep calling. I would put a bucket over it in case the kids try to touch it

yeah, they do. I have been looking for something to put over it.

peregrinus
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

try calling the non emergency police line.  Often police officers are trained as animal control and they can help.

Gingered
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM

The animal control officer just came an got him. He was pretty mad. It seems like he was just sleeping but I still think it was weird that he was sleeping on the ground. She was kind of condescending.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Non-emergency police line. We had to do that when we knew the neighbor's dog dying in their backyard (DH peeked through the fence, you could tell she was being starved to death). Animal control refused to do anything until we got the police involved.

Gingered
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Quoting thatgirl70:

Non-emergency police line. We had to do that when we knew the neighbor's dog dying in their backyard (DH peeked through the fence, you could tell she was being starved to death). Animal control refused to do anything until we got the police involved.

Yeah, I did call the non emergency line and they told me to call pest control. I said that I wasn't going to spend money for one bat. She acted like I was over reacting.  I am fairly certain that a bat lying on the ground during the day was either injured or sick. IDK

Lorelai_Nicole
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Maybe use a thick towel to wrap him up and take him to the vet? If he's paralyzed he can't bite, right? I've never dealt with bats before so I don't know...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piesmama09
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Non emergency police line, 100%

thatgirl70
by Carin on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Quoting Gingered:

Quoting thatgirl70:

Yeah, I did call the non emergency line and they told me to call pest control. I said that I wasn't going to spend money for one bat. She acted like I was over reacting.  I am fairly certain that a bat lying on the ground during the day was either injured or sick. IDK

Well the purpose wasn't for them to come out and do it, it was for them to place a call out to Animal Control. That's what the police did with that dog.

Edit: To clarify, AC refused to do anything when we called, that's why we called the non-emergency line.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN