Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Disposable Diapers Vs. Cloth Diapers...What age to pierce my daughters ears?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM
  • 54 Replies

What are my fellow mommies thoughts on disposable diapers vs. cloth diapers? My mother-in-law and husband have brought up the idea of using cloth diapers instead of the expensive disposable diapers but they aren't the one's to change my daughters diapers most of the time and I'm a little leary of not only the mess but the amount of laundry; either way it'll cost in the long run right? 

Would also like to know your thoughts about what age you think it would be best to pierce my daughters ears? She is currently 8 months old and my  husband and mother-in-law are both wondering when I'm going to get them done. I was thinking 5 years old at the earliest, my mother-in-law says 9 months, my husband is thinking sooner rather then later. My mom didn't allow my sisters and I to get ours pierced until we were 12 simply because she wanted us to be responsible enough to care for our ears.

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM
As far as ears, not until she can properly care for them herself. So probably 8+.

Cloth is honestly not less expensive. You have 3 times more laundry, higher water bill, special detergent is expensive, special rash cream, more frequent changes, more diapers. The only reason to cloth diaper is for environmental reasons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessy76
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I got my DD's ear pierced at 5 months old, she would pull the expensive ear rings out and they would get lost so we let them close and she will get them done when she is old enough to take care of them herself. I always used LUVS diapers. My BFF has used cloth exclusively with all 3 of her kids and says she wont use anything else. She originally tried disposable diapers for her oldest but she would constantly have really bad diapers rashes so she switch to cloth and the diaper rash issue competely stopped. Her oldest now has a child and is also using cloth diapers now. For me it was about convenience being a working mom who works 50 or more hours a week I just didn't have time to clean cloth diapers and DD only ever got diaper rash when I would use a different brand diaper. If she was in LUVS no rash ever.

MommaGreenhalge
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM

We use cloth because it's so much cheaper, but if you're the one changing and you don't want to do it, don't.  And I'm totally with you on ear piercing.  When she's old enough to take care of them and have them done at a real piercing parlor instead of some booth at the mall.

LEY1307
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I spent $140 on 24 cloth diapers with inserts plus 11 extra inserts. I bought Ecos detergent at Walmart for about $9. I only use 1-1.5tbsp to wash the diapers. I love cloth. My son kept a red butt when in disposables, but hasn't had a problem since switching to cloth. I only wash every other day. It's not near as gross as I thought it would be to clean them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Diappers, I'm not for cloth, I like comfort and easy so I did dispossable.

Earrings... I got my DD's done at 4 months at the same time of the tetanus vax; I'm latin and in my country is done when the baby is born.

My DD never pulled on them, we just got the earrings that the back screws on the earring and she never took them out. I personally don't like girlsnot having earrings

NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I use cloth because it really bothers me all the landfills are being filled with disposable.  they are good for travel, like paper plates, but not for  everyday use.  

I dont pierce my children until they ask and they can take care of them. 

NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Quoting marchantmom06:

As far as ears, not until she can properly care for them herself. So probably 8+.

Cloth is honestly not less expensive. You have 3 times more laundry, higher water bill, special detergent is expensive, special rash cream, more frequent changes, more diapers. The only reason to cloth diaper is for environmental reasons.

Special rash cream for cloth babies?  never heard of it!  I also didnt have 3 times more laundry. i  wash 2 loads a day of clothes for my family on average.  I do not wash 6 loads of diapers!!!  My kids went through less than 2 dozen a day.  Usually about 15.  I only washed a load every 2 or 3 days of diapers and I just used vinegar in the wash machine, soaked it over night and then used dreft detergent the next morning for a second wash.  We have HE machines so it doesnt raise the water bill that I noticed.

hds_02
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Our personal preference was store bought diapers.  As far as getting my daughter's ears pierced, I'm waiting on her to be able to tell me that she wants them pierced.  So whatever age she's able to form the sentence and realizes what's going on, I will have no problem taking her to get them pierced.  Everyone is on to me about how this is the best age (two years old) to have it done or has told me that I should have done it whenever she was younger.  However, what if she's one of the few who doesn't want any holes in her body?  I'm not against piercings.  I have my ear lobes double pierced and once had my cartilage done (plus I once went through this phase where I had my eyebrow and belly button done too - not anymore though).  Just because that is my personal taste and what I wanted doesn't mean she will want the same.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Yea special cream because regular creams damage and stain the diapers.

Two loads of laundry a day is insane! We wash for 7+ people and do not wash every day.

24 diapers a day is also insane. Where as with disposable, maybe 5 or 6.

You also have to strip them, and use special detergent. Good for you using dreft, which is 2x the cost of tide in our home state. Also if you want to use cheap diapers you can get enough for 200-300 dollars. But nicer diapers are 25$+ each. So you figure 24 of them for one day as you state is over $500 just for one day worth of diapers.
Maybe where you live using the washer is cheap but not in our home state.

Here where we are would be insantity to wash every day. We also line dried our diapers but most people don't have that option. So the cost of running a washer and dryer each day would absolutely raise the cost of water and power.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Special rash cream for cloth babies?  never heard of it!  I also didnt have 3 times more laundry. i  wash 2 loads a day of clothes for my family on average.  I do not wash 6 loads of diapers!!!  My kids went through less than 2 dozen a day.  Usually about 15.  I only washed a load every 2 or 3 days of diapers and I just used vinegar in the wash machine, soaked it over night and then used dreft detergent the next morning for a second wash.  We have HE machines so it doesnt raise the water bill that I noticed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I took my dd to get hers done 3 months before she turned 7 I wanted her to want them and to be able to take care of them.  we made a fun afternoon out of it.

i think both cloth and disposables are good.   cloth is cheaper in the long run but you will have more laundry ( which i didnt want)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)