Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday Party Every Year?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 32 Replies

Do you feel it is a requirement to have a full birthday party every year for your child or just for milestone birthdays?

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
waytomanykids10
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:59 AM

We don't do birthday parties until our kids are 5 years old, for their 6th birthday and up we let them decide if they want a party or just invite a few friends to go do something. This year my 11 year old didn't want a birthday party he wanted to go boating so my husband took him and 2 friends to go do that. My 8 and 7 year olds both picked parties. 

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:35 AM

No every other year or family trip instead.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:37 AM
We do parties every year.
Firewoman33
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Every year when they are young. As they get older 8/10ish(?) we'll probably do the whole a few friends and a special activity or party if they want it. 

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't have parties at all, so no I don't feel it is necessary. 

My girls pick something they want to do as a family and we do it. My oldest is debating a few options that she has come up with for her birthday in November. My youngest picked Chuck E. Cheese for her birthday back in August, but since I loathe it, I nixed it and told her we were going to take her somewhere better...we went to Studio Movie Grill and saw Smurfs 2 and then we went to Dave & Buster's played video games for hours and ate lunch. I made her a cookie cake and she got a few gifts as well. They had a blast. 

Last year, my oldest decided she wanted to go to Callaway Gardens last year for her birthday. We got a hotel room for a night,( but they upgraded us to a cabin for free) rode the 10 mile trail a couple of times, went geo-caching, took the kids to an expensive restaurant for dinner, had gifts and cake and ice cream. 

They prefer doing family weekends over parties. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:19 AM
No. We had small parties till age 10. After that they had parties at 13 and at 16. We would take them out to eat and one friend for 11, 12, 14 etc. We never did huge parties anyway. 10 kids or less at most parties besides 16. I don't get these people that invite 25 to 50 people for a party.
We just got an invite to 1 yo twins in our neighborhood. They invited nearly our whole neighborhood. I mean I know them but this is not someone I would call to do things with. No, I am not attending.
susannah2000
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Quoting mcginnisc:

My girls pick something they want to do as a family and we do it. My oldest is debating a few options that she has come up with for her birthday in November. My youngest picked Chuck E. Cheese for her birthday back in August, but since I loathe it, I nixed it and told her we were going to take her somewhere better...we went to Studio Movie Grill and saw Smurfs 2 and then we went to Dave & Buster's played video games for hours and ate lunch. I made her a cookie cake and she got a few gifts as well. They had a blast. 

Last year, my oldest decided she wanted to go to Callaway Gardens last year for her birthday. We got a hotel room for a night,( but they upgraded us to a cabin for free) rode the 10 mile trail a couple of times, went geo-caching, took the kids to an expensive restaurant for dinner, had gifts and cake and ice cream. 

Those kinds of birthday celebrations are things kids will always remember, and are far more special, IMO, than just having a bunch of kids running around.

squirrelml
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I couldnt afford parties my daughter was younger,when she got older-preteens,we let her pick out a day trip with one or two friends let her have her choice,afterall it was her day.

though I did manage to still get her a ballon for each birthday year(yes even when she turned eighteen-lol)

I was walking down the street hoping not to be carried away(with 18 ballons-lol)

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:51 AM

My DD birthday is during Christmas break and DS is around Thankgiving.  So they have a 'party' when we spend the day with family.

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Those kinds of birthday celebrations are things kids will always remember, and are far more special, IMO, than just having a bunch of kids running around.

That is why we stopped doing parties. We had a huge blow out for our oldest when she turned 2 because she had been adopted from China 6 months before and we felt "guilty" for the fact that she had never been celebrated since she lived in an orphanage and shared everything with the other babies. After a couple of years, we decided to stop the parties and either suprise the girls or let them pick the activity. They have really enjoyed the past several birthdays since we instituted this practice. 

It also saves my sanity because I'm not dealing with invitations, food, etc as well as having a ton of children underfoot. LOL  

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)