Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

9/11 and your children...

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM
  • 58 Replies
With the anniversary of September 11th looming just around the corner, television has began playing programs of that day. On one program it said "by next year, nobody under the age of 17 will have memories of that day". It got me thinking about my children, who are 5 and 3, that will probably hear/read about that day in their history books.

What do you or have you told your children about this day? If you do tell them, are you able to hide the emotion of that day?

Do they ask questions as they get older?

Do you still have a lot of emotion over that day?

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Mine were 7 and 11. Youngest doesn't remember much and she is 19 now. Oldest remembers it being confusing. She found out at school. 5th graders were told. Too hard for adults to comprehend let alone kids.
19 yo went to NYC ground zero memorial and also saw artifacts in museums in DC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Mine is only two. Last year watching footage it upset me. But my bf was also in Afghanistan at the time, too bc of all that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM
My kids weren't born yet, as I was in the sixth grade when it happened. I was terrified. My dad worked in manhattan at the time and delivered to one of the towers. He makes his deliveries in the morning so I didn't know if he had been there at the time or not. When I got off the bus the first thing I asked my mother was if daddy was okay. My sister doesn't remember it though, since she was a toddler. I have no idea how that conversations is going to go. The oldest is only three, so I have a bit of time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Ds wont/doesn't understand right now. And for me I tend to pretend the day doesn't exist. I had a.dream about 9/11 at age 11. I remember very well and again will ignore it. I feel for the people who lost love ones but have yet to be able to deal with it all myself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM
I mourn on 9/11 for a totally different reason...

:(
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM
My 13 and 9 year old watch footage every year. They asked a lot of questions a few years back on why their oldest brother was overseas and what he was fighting for. I plan to introduce my 5 year old to it this year. I have cried before. I explain it as best I can and answer any questions I can. One of my brothers was in the pentagon that day and he has told my kids stories. My oldest 3 remember it very well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iHEAVENn
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is 5 so he will probably read about it later on in school and such... My husband has started to tell him about it because my son's uncle is in the Army..

My son asked what the Army is and why we need it... my husband explained, then used 9/11 as an example by saying something like "Bad men took over planes and flew them into tall buildings.. Uncle Tony works in the Army to try and protect us from bad men doing it again" 

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Mine are 11 yr old and 20 months old. My 11 yr old learn about it in school n my 20 month old does not understand.
GertieK
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:03 AM
4 moms liked this

I doubt very seriously that there will be much truth about 9/11 in future history books.  I mean, Beghazi happened on 9/11 as well, and no one seems to think it matters any more.  Core Curriculum is editing history to fit their agenda, and it is doubtful that anyone of this next generation will ever learn the truth.  The saddest part of it, to me, is that there is much truth in the saying, "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it".  We are on the verge of being forced into the biggest mess we have ever seen, bar none, and it is very possible that when the retaliation against America is all said and done, the tragedy of the 9/11 Twin Towers will seem like minor stuff. 

thatgirl70
by Carin on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Mine is only 6 so he wouldn't understand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN