Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would you let your kids wear any of these trends?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:12 AM
  • 28 Replies

5 Back-to-School Fashion Trends That Will Make Every Mom Cringe

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

heelsFew things are cuter than kids in their fresh, back-to-school clothes. Boys in their button-down shirts; girls in their dresses. Positively precious. But there are few back-to-school trends that are more horrifying than cute. Trends no elementary-aged child should ever be caught in.

Here are 5 back-to-school fashions that will make every mom cringe. Yikes.

Too Short Skirts

Skirts look adorable on little girls. And while they don't need to graze the bottom of their ankles, they ought to be a certain length when you're that young.

Too Short Skirts

T-Shirts With Inappropriate Slogans

JC Penney caused an uproar a few years ago when they sold this sweatshirt for young girls. It was fortunately pulled from the shelves after an online petition was formed. Gross.

T-Shirts With Inappropriate Slogans

High Heels

Wanna know the smallest size these fairly tall wedges come in? A "3 Little Kid". That's WAY too young to be wearing anything but flats.

High Heels

Colored Hair Streaks

A purple streak in the hair can be cool (in fact, I had one myself a few years ago). But children shouldn't be dying their hair any color. Not purple, not red, not blonde. Wait until you're older to start frying your hair, kids.

Colored Hair Streaks

Crop Tops

Full disclosure, crop tops are never a look I enjoy on anyone, but they especially shouldn't be worn by kids in elementary school. Just ... no.

Crop Tops

Would you let your child wear any of these?

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Short skirts. Don't consider that skirt short. Skorts were in when mine were younger.
All the others I didn't.
SnapIt
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM
My dd has the color thing going on in her hair and shes never got any negative comments from it
As a matter of fact, many girls have followed in doing it too

Heels and crop tops i can understand
LuvMyBoys09
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Meh, the majority of those, no but I don't see a problem with the colored steaks in the hair especially since they make non permanent color that washes out.
uno-knowme
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I seriously hate seeing lil girls waering too short skirts/shorts!!

Just... NO!!

the only thing i don't mind is the hair color (this summer i put some purple streaks in my DD hair...

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM
I don't mind the hair color either. They obviously don't get real hair dye until they're much older, but I like the little clip on color extensions. Dd likes pink with feathers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

no

bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Color in hair yes..both kids 5 and 11.

Those shirts with apparently "inapropriate" sayings, yes they have many of those. lol I see nothing wrong with them...dd has a tshirt that has smarties on it an instead of saying smarties it says smartass (used to be mine) in high school.

She has a band tee like the bottom one but it fits full length and not croped but has the same kind of sleeves. DD has a few heels (not super high ones) but she does have some.

susannah2000
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM

If anything, the color streaks. They would cause no harm. The clothes, and shoes, no way.

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:39 PM
No my boys wouldn't. Have wanted to
TSNDDY
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM
My daughter wears skorts or short skirts with shorts or leggings on under them, no issue there..
I don't have an issue with the coloured hair either..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN