Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do violent video games cause behavior problems?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM
  • 84 Replies

A friend of mine has taken away her son's video games saying that they're making him act out. As long as I've known her, her son has always acted out and the games aren't the cause of that.

Do you think violent video games cause behavior problems?

♥ ♥   I love to read. ♥ ♥

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

My son plays halo and other war games.  He is a very gentle kid.  Never has been in  a fight.  even if his sisters hit him he just restrains them, does not hurt them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Not a cause. Maybe one of many issues with these type kids. Many kids can play violent games and not have issues.
ATS11208
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Maybe they don't cause behavior problems but don't think a child should play games that aren't meant for their age group, My SS plays Call of Duty and WAlking Dead also watches The WAlking Dead TV show and has watched horror movies like the Texas Chainsaw. and he is now 7. I think if he is to young to buy it at the counter then he is to young for it PERIOD!! I teach that to my bio children as well...not being a evil SM here just think he should follow the same rules in our house.

sissy502
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I think it depends on the kid & their brain development & sensory issues. Their brains are still developing... be watchful of what ya put in ya know. 

I'd personally never allow my children to play a game where they had to shoot, stab or blow up another human.

When my son was little & played with toy guns, if he aimed his little gun at me I'd tell him "no, no, we don't point guns at people". I kept to that standard for video games too.

But that was just my way of dealing it. I think any game (violent or not) would be harmful if the child was allowed to veg out in front of the game for several hours a day.

jas_momof2
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it really depends on the kid.

MommyOK
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

oh I do believe violent movies and games affect childrens mentality and their understanding of the reality

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I think you're contradicting yourself. No way can a seven year old buy Call of Duty himself. Did you mean 17? Or are you saying he plays those games elsewhere and you don't let him at your house?

Quoting ATS11208:

Maybe they don't cause behavior problems but don't think a child should play games that aren't meant for their age group, My SS plays Call of Duty and WAlking Dead also watches The WAlking Dead TV show and has watched horror movies like the Texas Chainsaw. and he is now 7. I think if he is to young to buy it at the counter then he is to young for it PERIOD!! I teach that to my bio children as well...not being a evil SM here just think he should follow the same rules in our house.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Not in all children.

I think.some kids that already have some mentality issues with not comprehending the difference between violent and apropriate behavior should stay away from them. Young or older kids.

But kids that do not have behavior issues or lack of understanding in them I don't think it does.

But some kids may have behavior issues but are not affected by it. Its a parents call really. Very child peniding IMO.
ATS11208
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM

That he is 7 years old and plays them at his mother's house. I know he isn't allowed to purchase those kind of games...that was my point. Thank you for pointing that out...I thought I said that.

watsonashi
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this
NO NO NO NO NO they do not
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)