Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is 13 too young for dating?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 265 Replies
3 moms liked this

My daughter is 13 and a boy at school asked her out on a date but she told him she had to ask for permission. He said okay, he'd wait, and she came home to ask, but I think 13 is too young.

What age do you think is appropriate for dating?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM
8 moms liked this

in our house it is 16 and if I found out my 12 year old had a friend that was allowed to date she would not be allowed at that friends house anymore.  I would also discourage the friendship.  My daughters best freind last year in 5th grade was allowed to date.  they are no longer friends. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM
5 moms liked this
Way too young. 16 for dating. High school for school dances ect.
gr8d8n3mom
by Gr8d8n3mom on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM
10 moms liked this

The rule in my house was 16, now at 14 & 15 they were allowed to go with a group of friends to the movies, I drove them there, and picked them up directly after the movie.  

My daughters always gripped, then I would find out their best friends parents (whom I ususally became good friends with) also had the same rules.

So when I would ask if they had plans, or if one of the kids were staying the night, I would get " she has to clean her room first" . I would say, "OH MY GOSH! NO! Some one elses parents actually makes them do CHORES??? NO way! I of course got the eye roll!

Momofmenagerie
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM
3 moms liked this
Group dates at 14 , when she's at least in high school

No dating "alone" until 16 and even then, you should know the whole itenerary... Like when the movie starts , or the dance ends , no large parties unless you've spoken to and made sure it was chaperoned... Strict curfew as well

Sorry. YES 13 is too young for a one on one date.
nelliesmommy
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

absolutely too young. 16 or 17 is fine.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Are you insane??? There is no thinking about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SinaiJ
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM
13 moms liked this

I do and I don't think that's too young. If she really likes him and you say no she can't see him, she'll most likely go behind your back. Kids are also having sex at that age. I'd say he could come and hang at your place, see how the kid acts and if you're comfortable with him.

katiekiwi
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM
4 moms liked this

what exactly do they think a "date" is???  I dated at 13... but it was like talking on the phone and hanging out in a group... and kissing that person...at 13 you are probably too nervous to be alone with someone... i think its just for the label "boyfriend/girlfriend"

1frog
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Definitely to young. Group dating at 14-15 depending on maturity.  Then, maybe "single" dating at 15-16, again depending on maturity, and what the activity is.  No 13 year old is read for being alone with a boy like that, no matter how mature she thinks she is.

PartyGalAnne
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:31 AM
2 moms liked this

If you take them and stay with them (at the mall or a movie or something) then yes.
How would they possibly get anywhere on their own?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)