Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Interracial Marriage

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:23 AM
  • 27 Replies
My mom was born and raised in Korea until her mid 20s where she met and married my Army dad. He's 5th generation American and his ancestors are German. His first wife was caucasian as well, but I doubt he ever considered about marrying a foreign woman.

Assuming that your SO/DH is the same ethnicity/race/culture as you, would you have ever considered marrying someone that was raised in a totally different lifestyle?

As for me, I've dated an American Indian guy, Middle Eastern guy, Japanese mixed guy and a Caucasian guy. Because I'm mixed, I could connect better with the mixed ex, but I don't know who I'm destined to marry :)
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1CynfulDlite
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM

We're all human  race/ethnicity doesn't matter to me as long as they respect me.  I'm of latin decent and my husband is a mix of Norse, German, Hungarian.  We've got our differences but we enjoy that about each other.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM
My dh isn't the same as I am. He is Puerto Rican and I am white. My first real boyfriend was white, then Jamaican, then Cuban, then black (just black no idea where his ancestors came from) and then white, Israeli and then dh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I'm married to someone the same race as me but love is love. I would have married my husband regardless of his race

godsgirl26
by ♥ char ♥ on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm black and my husband is Italian.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM

My dad is black and my mom is filipino. My dad retired from the AF and we spent a great deal of time overseas so I've always been around different cultures. Most of my friends were mixed as well so it's normal to me. I too dated all all types. (and had fun doing it ;-P) But I did marry a black guy. But he is always mistaken for mixed because he has light skin and hazel eyes. My bf before him was white- polish to be specific.

JamieBue38
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM
I agree, love is love! But to some, it can be an adventure to live with someone of totally different background, to others it may be weird and frustrating because they may not see a lot eye to eye

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm married to someone the same race as me but love is love. I would have married my husband regardless of his race

azn_ladie82
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I knew I wasn't going to date my own kind..haha, sounds like I'm talking about some kind of alien or something. I just never found Asian guys attractive. My husband is white (former Army) but I knew way before I met him that I was probably going to marry a white guy. My sister on the other hand, she didn't date very many white guys.. So, when she married her husband (he's white), it was a shocker. Marrying someone from a different culture had to take some getting used to, but then again..being with someone who grew up totally different from how you were raised is bound to happen (different race or not).

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I come from an interracial family. On both sides of my family interracial marriage, and interracial relationships are just our norm. My husband is virtually the same race as me, but I wouldn't have a problem dating or marrying outside of my race. Someone who was raised in a completely different lifestyle from me, is different from race or ethnicity though. I probably would not find compatibility with someone who was raised drastically different than I, regardless of their race or ethnic background.

ILoveBeingAMom1
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I don't think eace/ethnicity has anything to do with it, at least to me it doesn't make a difference. I'm 3/4 Dutch and 1/4 German, my ex-husband is Mexican, my SO is caucasian (not sure what lol). 

JamieBue38
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Awesome! I had a lot of asian friends in High School who were not allowed to date white or black guys (or any other race). It's something that Americans don't think much of, but other countries are so concerned about losing their culture.

Quoting azn_ladie82:

I knew I wasn't going to date my own kind..haha, sounds like I'm talking about some kind of alien or something. I just never found Asian guys attractive. My husband is white (former Army) but I knew way before I met him that I was probably going to marry a white guy. My sister on the other hand, she didn't date very many white guys.. So, when she married her husband (he's white), it was a shocker. Marrying someone from a different culture had to take some getting used to, but then again..being with someone who grew up totally different from how you were raised is bound to happen (different race or not).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)