Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Regarding criticizing others' parenting

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM
  • 10 Replies

I recently read on a blog (I'm paraphrasing): parenting is the easiest thing to criticize, but the hardest thing to do. Do you agree? 

The blog was in reference to a childless young man criticizing the way a mom  was handling a screaming child in a grocery store. 

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaniNY
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes. A lot of Monday morning quarterbacking goes on. Especially here.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Very true. We are so quick to judge how people parent without knowing anything. My friend has several special needs kids. She hears "she doesn't look autistic" "just beat her" "why would you have so many kids knowing you have kids with problems". What they don't know is she had her kids so close together that only the baby was born after her youngest dd was diagnosed. The other children weren't diagnosed until after that.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Yep. I read that article too. It's so easy to criticize anything you don't do yourself. Because most things seem so easy when you don't know the real troubles of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TinaNicu
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Yep. Before I had my kids, I must admit that I judged (in my mind) other people's parenting. But, after having two autistic kids, I learned that I was an ass. Lol. 

Quoting cjsmom1:

Very true. We are so quick to judge how people parent without knowing anything. My friend has several special needs kids. She hears "she doesn't look autistic" "just beat her" "why would you have so many kids knowing you have kids with problems". What they don't know is she had her kids so close together that only the baby was born after her youngest dd was diagnosed. The other children weren't diagnosed until after that.

TinaNicu
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Wasn't that a great blog? I wish I could find it to link it. 

Quoting polkaspots:

Yep. I read that article too. It's so easy to criticize anything you don't do yourself. Because most things seem so easy when you don't know the real troubles of it.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM
We all judge. It's a matter of keeping our judgments to ourselves and remembering we don't know anything about the other person.

Quoting TinaNicu:

Yep. Before I had my kids, I must admit that I judged (in my mind) other people's parenting. But, after having two autistic kids, I learned that I was an ass. Lol. 

Quoting cjsmom1:

TinaNicu
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:38 PM

That last part is what I finally learned. 

Quoting cjsmom1:

We all judge. It's a matter of keeping our judgments to ourselves and remembering we don't know anything about the other person.

Quoting TinaNicu:

Quoting cjsmom1:

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:06 AM
It was a lot more pleasant than the other articles I've been seeing on here...
I checked my history, but couldn't find the article.

Quoting TinaNicu:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SinaiJ
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:30 AM

Yep, I agree.

LnAsMommy
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this
http://themattwalshblog.com/2013/09/15/dear-parents-you-need-to-control-your-kids-sincerely-non-parents/

Quoting TinaNicu:

Quoting polkaspots:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)