Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Ask me anything about my country and I will be completely honest!

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:43 AM
  • 6 Replies

There must be people out there curious enough about the country I live in...and you can ask me anything I will be honest, I know there has been a post about this before...but ask anything you want....

I live in Cape Town, South Africa. I have been very fortunate enough to travel around my country and stay in many places. I grew up fairly free..where kids played in the roads, neighbours talk to each other over the fence. It was a perfect place to raise kids...sadly not anymore. As beautiful as my city is, we have the mountains and sea...whats not to love, but there are so many people that have been affected by crime here....

We live in high walls, security fences, big dogs in the yard...kids don't play in the street anymore.....and you hear about kids going missing so many times, people don't even blink an eye anymore. We don't pump out own gas...wouldn't even know how to do that, we lock our doors all the time.

We don't celebrate Halloween..which is sad as I would love for my kids to be part of such a wonderful holiday. There are some areas that do...a few houses do get together..but I don't know any. 

I myself have been mugged at knife point, my friends husband got stabbed in the eye during an hi-jack...it makes me fearful of what future my kids have...if I could I would move to another country in an instant... know its not always easier elsewhere, but to have the safety..and not look over your shoulder...how bliss!!

Anyway, you can ask questions about my country...loevly , beautiful SA...

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Melissa_anne
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:56 AM

is there a chance you could move?  where would you move to if you could?

RSAMom007
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:25 AM

I would move...where...mmm...at this point, any country that would take me and my family..I guess to be completely honest..I always had a soft spot for America...since I was a kid.....simple smile

I know work everywhere is difficult, my partner has been looking for a long time....and been applying, but there is always a dream to go on...and to carry on playing the lotto!! Lol...

Melissa_anne
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:34 AM

what does he do if you dont mind me asking.   there are a lot of safe towns where I live. I grew up in a town I hate and vowed to not raise my kids there, when i met DH he came from a small town and i moved here when we got married and i just LOVE it.

RSAMom007
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:46 AM

I love a small town..it has a nice community feel. You are very lucky...x

My partner..we still need to get married...he does 3D animation..and I am a photographer.....my parents stayed aon a farm but sold after many death threats..which is sad..as the farm was bought in the 1800's...so been through the family. I have two kids, a 15 year old...and a soon to be 4 year old. 

I must get going to work, have a photoshoot this morning..it is 9:5am..Sunday..so if there are any questions..I will reply when I get back this afternoon...

Yeah..x

Melissa_anne
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:51 AM

you might need to move to a bigger city if those are your jobs. not much around here for 3D animation.  but there are a lot of bigger towns/cities that are safer than what you have to deal with.  I am sorry you have to deal with all that!

RSAMom007
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Sadly it is the bigger cities that have the work we ned...would be nice to retire one day to a smaller town....but we learnt through everything to really enjoy life one day at a time...and to enjoy life to the fullest...I just hope my kids have a chance to explore the rest of the world...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)