Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

How do you respond? We're not having more kids!

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM
  • 46 Replies
How do you respond to the "when are you having another baby" type questions??

We have an almost 2 year old. Even before he was born we were pretty sure we'd only have one but were open to the idea of two. However, I had a terribly painful and sick pregnancy, post Partum anxiety after our son was born, and have a work injury that couldn't be fixed through surgery and causes me a lot of pain. And my husband is on specialized units which take him away from home often.

Everyone seems to ask this, even people we don't know well - lots through work. When I say we're not most people that don't know us (which are the people who ask really) often respond with "oh you'll change your minds" or "you never know.."

Does this stop as your kid ages? What can be said politely to stop the "no you're wrong" responses? Even out situation aside, I only really wanted 1 child.
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this
My best friend knew before she had a child she wanted only one. They made it known. He is 26 now. They have no regrets. If people are rude ignore them.
MountieMama
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM
:)

Quoting Anonymous:

My best friend knew before she had a child she wanted only one. They made it known. He is 26 now. They have no regrets. If people are rude ignore them.

bhow
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM

If it were me I would most likely start to get sarcastic about it and start telling people..."as soon as your ready to go through the whole pregnancy thing for me, and as soon as your ready to pay for diapers for it and as soon as your ready to care for it for me...and so on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I have 3 boys. I always get asked if we're going to try for a girl. I always say, nope 3 is our limit and with 3 boys, it couldn't get any better. I've my furry girls, one barks one meows and that's enough.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM
My only child is 17 and people still ask when I'm having another one.

Ask the person when they are having another one. It works.
BatMom.
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I don't hear it often, but I used to. I just told them we're not having anymore, and my Son is everything I ever wanted and so much more - because it's the truth!
I've gotten the whole "He needs a sibling; He'll be bored!" comment, as well, to which I reply - "He won't be bored - He has us as His Parents!"
Those comments are just so stupid and unnecessary; people love putting their nose where it doesn't belong.
I've always only wanted one Kiddo. There's no "need" to have more, nor does one "have to" have more. Just like others have the right to have two or more, we have the right to have just one.
It works for my Family, we're happy as a Family of three, and having more kids is not something that we want, nor would it work for us.
Also, a perk of having only one: we're helping the population, lol! Kidding, of course..but you could always reply with that to get a reaction out of the nosies! ha.
MountieMama
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Haha! Good one!

Quoting Anonymous:

My only child is 17 and people still ask when I'm having another one.

Ask the person when they are having another one. It works.

MountieMama
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Well it's somewhat true haha!

Quoting BatMom.:

I don't hear it often, but I used to. I just told them we're not having anymore, and my Son is everything I ever wanted and so much more - because it's the truth!

I've gotten the whole "He needs a sibling; He'll be bored!" comment, as well, to which I reply - "He won't be bored - He has us as His Parents!"

Those comments are just so stupid and unnecessary; people love putting their nose where it doesn't belong.

I've always only wanted one Kiddo. There's no "need" to have more, nor does one "have to" have more. Just like others have the right to have two or more, we have the right to have just one.

It works for my Family, we're happy as a Family of three, and having more kids is not something that we want, nor would it work for us.

Also, a perk of having only one: we're helping the population, lol! Kidding, of course..but you could always reply with that to get a reaction out of the nosies! ha.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I simply tell them I am not having another one.

If they continue to ask I ask them if they are offering to come over and help me with the new baby for free. When they say no then say that the discussion is over. You can say it nicely but firmly. Then change the discussion.
MountieMama
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM
People are just so nosy.

Quoting Anonymous:

I simply tell them I am not having another one.

If they continue to ask I ask them if they are offering to come over and help me with the new baby for free. When they say no then say that the discussion is over. You can say it nicely but firmly. Then change the discussion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)