Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mother Had No Idea Her Son Was a Multimillionaire??

Cafe Steph
Today at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:38 AM
  • 14 Replies

Mother Had No Idea Her Son Was a Multimillionaire (VIDEO)

by Kiri Blakeley

Every mother dreams of raising a son who grows up to be hugely successful and filthy rich. One Indiana mom did exactly that. Only, she had no idea about it. It wasn't that she and her son, businessman David Gundlach, weren't close. In fact, he spent the last years of his life, before he died of a heart attack at 56, regularly visiting his mom in his hometown of Elkhart, Indiana. It just that he decided to keep his finances -- which amounted to $113 million in the bank, several homes, cars, and every other thing you can imagine -- to himself. And apparently mom never got nosy. Never asked how he could afford 11 homes and 15 cars. Never asked how his mansions were so big that one them was next door to Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen. Not even the private jet he took her on seemed to clue her in. His mom, the complete opposite of a busybody, said: "I knew he was taking care of himself and not borrowing from me, but I had no idea he was that successful."

David Gundlach's mom, 94-year-old Marjorie Smith, was heartbroken when her son died so young -- and then astonished to learn that his vast fortune was left to her town of Elkhart, Indiana. The entire thing!

No word on whether mom was peeved that more wasn't left to her, but my guess is that at 94-years-old, she's set for life anyway.

Gundlach, who hung with celebrities like Leonardo DiCaprio and Bill Murray, preferred to spend his last years in his hometown, reacquainting himself with high school friends and people who'd never left the small town. Apparently being there gave him so much comfort that he decided he would leave his entire fortune, valued at $150 million, to it. Of course, he had no idea he was only a few years from death.

The town spent a year polling all of its residents on how they'd like to disperse the cash, and amazing they didn't erupt into fistfights about it. The most popular choices were progams that would benefit people with Alzheimer’s, abandoned pets, neighborhood blight, and education for children.

If you're thinking of moving, Elkhart might be the place. Because this is one town that isn't going to lack for anything for quite awhile!

And kudos to Ms. Smith for minding her own business. More mothers should do the same.

Would you not know if your kid is this rich?

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM
It's weird that she had no idea. I'm sure the people in that town are grateful for all that money. I hope they use it for good causes and manage it properly.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Its good to not flaunt. It speaks well of the person.
VintageWife
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I live close to there. Hubby was like, "Wanna move into Elkhart?" LOL! I think it's sweet that she wasn't a busybody. She knew he did well for himself but she came from a time you just didn't ask people what their worth was, ya know?

she_walk_softly
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Elkhart is right by my old house:) nice town, good people!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM
My MIL really had no clue how much dh makes. She was shocked and surprised just how much money we have in investments. We don't have 100 mil by any stretch, lol.
She should have had some clue though. She knew her grandson started work where dh works and he makes over $70,000 right out of college. Dh has been there over 25 years so you would think she would have some idea. Nice to know that she was clueless as to what he makes. Shows we live a down to earth lifestyle.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Wow!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Neither my parents or my in-laws know how much DH makes

SnapIt
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
THIS is what you call class

""It just that he decided to keep his finances -- which amounted to $113 million in the bank, several homes, cars, and every other thing you can imagine -- to himself. And apparently mom never got nosy. ""

He didnt brag
She wasnt nosy or felt her son owed her

Thats how it should always be
mamaBerg85
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Our parents dont know how much we make but they know our status in life. I mean I don't understand if u have 11 homes and 15 cars and ur mom knows all this how does she not know ur very well off? I don't think they were as close as mom leads on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I am sure she had an idea. Maybe not the exact amount, but she had to have a clue. He took her on his private jet. If she truly had no clue, she's an idiot.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)