Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Went to my CLASS Reunion, and hubby left me.

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:21 PM
  • 20 Replies

WOW, I finally got up the nerve to go to my class reunion.  I went with my hubby  to the 10 year but stayed only for a little while.  This time I was invited by a class mate who made me promise I would be at this, our 40th.  She said I should take it as an evening out with my husband.  So glad I went.  I came to the school in the 11th grade so no one really knew me, even though I was voted majorette in the spring of that year.  Three people recognized me and I was able to introduce my hubby, we ate, danced one dance and spoke with the people at our table...and then walked in my very best friend.  THE SHEER JOY of trying to catch up 40 years led us outside in the hallway.  My hubby was so annoyed that i left him, he motioned for me to come so we could go home.  I couldn't break away, he texted right when I was being snatched for a picture. All the taking and excitiment made him leave.  Now in writing this, I see my fault...but not then.  Not only did he leave 1/2 before me, he left my purse fully exposed on an emply table (I had it under the table where my feet would have been). I had to get it, take my jacket, and walk out alone to my car.  He said he was not my taxi.  40 years away and all I wanted was 1 final hour with my friends.  I have gone places with people before and left alone but I knew how to converse with whomever was near me.  I would have given my hubby his moment if this had been his reunion.  Plus, it was a woman I was speaking to. Should I have stayed that final hour or gone home and had what he suggested, one of our sons pick me up?  Was I wrong to have left him for 30 min alone?

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

You dont know your husband well enough to know if he could handle that?  I would never leave my husband for a half hour if he didnt know anyone.  He doesnt have the social skills to meet someone new without my help.  My sisters husband would be fine and may end up on stage performing to the crowd. 

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I'm just amazed at some of the husbands & wives in these groups.  My dh & I went to my 25th class reunion & he knew absolutely no one there.  The night before the actual 'reunion' a bunch of us got together in one of the hotel rooms just to party; dh went for a bit & then went back to our room and I stayed for awhile.  He had absolutely no problem.  Then the next night, at the actual reunion, after the dinner, he ended up sitting at a table with several of the wives (who hadn't gone to the school either & didn't know anyone either) of some of the guys in the class & dancing with them ... while I was having a great time dancing with some of the guys from the class, many of them old boyfriends.  He, and the wives, had a great time and none of them cared ... we, the classmates, came back to our husbands/wives every so often to dance with them & talk.  But just catching up with each other was what were there for and they all understand that and were fine with it.   They were all laughing with us about it when were all together.  I don't think you did anything wrong.

mustbeGRACE
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not have left my husband alone for 30 minutes with people he didn't know. ( or sitting there by himself).

I wouldn't want to be treated that way by my husband.

However outgoing and friendly my husband is, I wouldn't do that to him if he doesn't know anyone there.

PartyGalAnne
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:03 AM
2 moms liked this

THIS is why spouses shouldn't go. They don't know anyone, they get bored, they get bitchy.

I would have found some guys he had something in common with and ditched him with them. Let them talk about football or beer or how they like the smell of their own farts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Sounds like he was being a kindergartener. He should have stayed home. This was not his night, it was yours. He would have been bored if he had followed you around like a puppy dog also.
Dh and I are ok if we both go because each of us know a few people in our classes.
If I am sitting bored, it is not dh's fault, it would be mine.
PinkButterfly66
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM

You should have gone alone.  Why drag him to an event where he knows absolutely nobody and then gets left alone?

julainepw
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Yeah he knows better than to go with me to those things. I usually leave him home or he drops me off and picks me up. He's going to be bored. I'm fine with him not going.
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I think it's all a matter of the couple.  My dh was fine with it & the wives he was with seemed fine with it also, they were all laughing & having a great time ... see my previous post . When I would go back to the table, as well as the husbands, all was well.  I think it's just a personal thing and not for everyone. 

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

I would not have left my husband alone for 30 minutes with people he didn't know. ( or sitting there by himself).

I wouldn't want to be treated that way by my husband.

However outgoing and friendly my husband is, I wouldn't do that to him if he doesn't know anyone there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Spouses are just trophy individuals at social functions like these.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM
He should know he is an accessory at a reunion. Don't come if you are gonna pout and leave.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)