Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do adults automatically deserve respect?

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
  • 135 Replies

I grew up treating anyone older than myself with respect automatically, but my husband was taught that you don't have to show respect unless a person earns it.

Do you believe that because someone is an adult or older than you, that your child or you should automatically respect them, or do you feel that respect is something someone earns?

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Okie-chick
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM
3 moms liked this
If someone doesn't give me respect they don't deserve it back
Lunarprancer
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM
6 moms liked this

So kids should walk around being rude to adults?  I guess I don't understand the question...

NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM
11 moms liked this

I teach my kids basic manners and that includes not sassing back to adults.  I teach them to tell me if there is an issue with an adult and I will talk to the adult about it. My kids are to remain respectful.  Its not like I ever have my kids around people I dont know.  If a new coach or teacher is rude my kids will still do what they are told and come home to tell me what has happened. 

Some cultures teach their kids to constantly walk around with an attitude.  There are kids where I teach who have moved in from more urban areas that expect that I as the adult need to show them "respect" aka letting them do what they want with no consequenses, and they can talk to me however they want.   I am the teacher, I am in charge, no matter what your mama told you, is what I tell those kids!  If mama has told you different rules she is free to be the teacher and keep you at home with her!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes. Too many kids today have no respect for anyone because sucky parents don't teach that kids should respect teachers, bosses and elders. I have had kids be rude to me in my home and I sure as hell point it out. Also tell my girls to never act that way, ever.
famiglia_bella
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM
3 moms liked this

I taught/teach my kids manners.  I didn't use the word respect because little kids sometimes equate respect with authority or obedience.  I wanted my kids to feel comfortable saying no when necessary.  I feel respect is not something you "show", it is something you feel for someone.  I can't teach a feeling.

Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM
4 moms liked this

i show respect to everyone.  i dont pick and chose who i deem worthy of respect.  everyone gets it.  if someone acts in a way i disagree with then i just leave them alone and dont associate with them.
i teach my kids the same.  

abecee
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Common sense manners.

gwimmer
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I respect everyone unless I'm given a reason to not respect someone, I've taught that to my children as well. My sd's on the other hand, have the mindset that they don't have to give respect until they are given respect... even towards their parents.

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I have always taught me kids to respect adults and those in authority.  I also taught them that you don't always have to agree with them, but that doesn't mean you can't show them respect.  However, once you become an adult is a different matter .... being nice and respectful to someone ... yet actually respecting them can be 2 different things.

RaineyLeigh
by New Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Its sad but I doubt alot of kids out there could even give the definition of respect!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)