Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do adults automatically deserve respect?

Posted by   + Show Post

I grew up treating anyone older than myself with respect automatically, but my husband was taught that you don't have to show respect unless a person earns it.

Do you believe that because someone is an adult or older than you, that your child or you should automatically respect them, or do you feel that respect is something someone earns?

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
jl89
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I think most people deserve a certain amound of general respect. However, any more than that and they have to earn it. I think it means less if we give it without cause. 

LnAsMommy
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this
As a child, yes they should respect everyone. As they grow up, I think they learn who they need to respect and who deserves it and who doesn't.
I persobally cannot stand rude children...
momoftwo0406
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I teach my kids to be respectful to everyone and to never talk back to any adult. If they have a issue the come to me or their dad and we will take care of it. Adults often don't think they need to respect kids and I think that is wrong also.
HalfPint45
by New Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM

That would be entirly up to the individual. I myself was raised to respect others no matter the age. Respect in my eyes is a 2 way street not just one. 

robin7771
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM

No way!!!! You can't except anything goes anymore. Be on alert. 

KenneMaw
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM

If someone is older or is a business superior (president, CEO, etc...) than me, then yes, I give them respect.   However, they can lose that respect if they act like a jerk or idiot.   Honestly, I think everyone, old and young, deserves respect but then it is their job to make sure they are respectable.

Ultra_
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM
We think everybody gets respect! It doesn't matter your age. If you disrespect us, we won't associate with you. We're not going to fight, argue and cuss. Then, we've been brought to your level. Someone almost made me stoop to their level, but I caught myself!!
SinaiJ
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I treat everyone with respect until they don't deserve it.

JALang6
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:48 PM

My children are taught to respect adults. I believe that every adult should be given the benefit of the doubt in advance. If that adult proves to be unworthy of my child's respect then most likely I am not going to solo them to be near my child. 

For my children's benefit though, respecting their elders is a must. It's a useful lesson when they have to learn to deal with the unpleasant folks in life but nothing would excuse bad manners in them.

mom23heathens
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I'm iffy about this. There is common courtesy and there is respect. Everyone deserves common courtesy and respect is earned. I teach my kids to be polite to everyone whenever possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)