Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do adults automatically deserve respect?

Posted by   + Show Post

I grew up treating anyone older than myself with respect automatically, but my husband was taught that you don't have to show respect unless a person earns it.

Do you believe that because someone is an adult or older than you, that your child or you should automatically respect them, or do you feel that respect is something someone earns?

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Replies (111-120):
johnnys_mom6605
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Absolutely NOT. My kids are taught to be courteous to everyone. They are not allowed to disrespect anyone but that doesn't mean they have to respect them.

For example, my sisters BD is an ass. He acts like my son is such an awful kid but he raised my nephew to be an aggressive little jerk. So my son doesn't like him. We had an issue with my son talking down to the guy and I had to explain to him that just because my sisters ex was a jerk who didn't deserve respect, didnt mean it was ok for my son to blatantly disrespect him. I told him he didn't have to listen to him or anything but he wasnt allowed to be calling him names and stuff like that.
arwalters
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM
The Bible says show respect to everyone which is what I teach my son
andreamarie
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM
I changed my mind a few years ago.
I now believe in basic respect for everyone as a human being.
After that respect should be earned
elijahsmommy924
by New Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM

i belive the deserve respect until they do somthing to lose it 

MzShorty787
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I think a little of both. I also think kids should b taught yes ma'am no ma'am yes sir no sir etc I think that's a little more about being polite.
JTROX
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I believe everyone deserves respect until they lose it.

Vinterland
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I think people should be respectful in general but you shouldn't have to deal with someone who disrespects you, there is a certain way to handle it though.

Jlee4249
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I think it depends on what your idea of respecting adults is...

There's a big difference between showing respect and doing everything an adult tells you to do.
Some believe in order to "respect your elders" you must do what you're told without "talking back".  

Being polite and basic manners and social etiquette is important to me, so I have taught my kids to behave appropriately.  But I have NEVER told my children to follow aimlessly when given directions from an adult.  

I, on the other hand, make sure my children know not to be rude, knowing when to say "no thank you" or even a simple, "I have to ask my mom first" when faced with an adult that is trying to overstep their authority over my children.  Some may say that's disrespectful for them to not "do as they're told" when given directions/orders from another adult, but I see it as being safe.

definecorrupt
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

My child will grow up with manners, But if an adult shows them no respect and treats them unfairly just because they're younger I'll expect my kid to do something about it.  Being respectful doesnt mean anyone should be a push over.

MamaTrombley
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Yes i teach my kids to respect their elders.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)