Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do adults automatically deserve respect?

Posted by   + Show Post

I grew up treating anyone older than myself with respect automatically, but my husband was taught that you don't have to show respect unless a person earns it.

Do you believe that because someone is an adult or older than you, that your child or you should automatically respect them, or do you feel that respect is something someone earns?

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Replies (121-123):
Mandi2356
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM
No! I do not! And here is why, I am 23 and the youngest mother at my son's football. A few weeks ago i was sitting alone at his practice when the grandmother of one of the boys walks up to me and starts yelling at me saying i had talked shit about her....which caught me way off guard....I don't even know her. So I tried to keep my cool and explain to her that i am the youngest mother there and didn't feel like ot was right for these older women to try and start shit with me. That is when she responded "yes you are the youngest here and you will respect me! I am your elder!" Hell no i wont respect you just cause you are older than me. She might be old be she isn't my elder. My elders are my parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles. If you shpw me respect i will show you respect but i wont show you respect if you do not deserve it

Quoting bamababe1975:

I grew up treating anyone older than myself with respect automatically, but my husband was taught that you don't have to show respect unless a person earns it.

Do you believe that because someone is an adult or older than you, that your child or you should automatically respect them, or do you feel that respect is something someone earns?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM
All adults must earn respect, even family members.
Mrs.Suits08
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Children should repsct their elders, Untill they are old enough. Around 16 is when my hubby lost respect for his dad, and mom. Which is understadnable. Once you become an adult Respect should be erned and not given, But children should not have to respect those thier parents do not respect. I would never ask my child to show respect to someone who hasn't earned respect from me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)