Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do adults automatically deserve respect?

Posted by   + Show Post

I grew up treating anyone older than myself with respect automatically, but my husband was taught that you don't have to show respect unless a person earns it.

Do you believe that because someone is an adult or older than you, that your child or you should automatically respect them, or do you feel that respect is something someone earns?

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Replies (131-135):
fudgybuddymom
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:12 AM

I was also taught to respect my elders & I have tried to teach my dd the same.

FireCoyote
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:48 PM
I HATE the expression "respect your elders." Sorry, but why should I respect then if they don't respect me? I've had quite a few older people make judgments about me without knowing the whole story and basically belittle me. I tore into them like there was no tomorrow!
Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:51 PM

yes.
i dont allow the way a person behaves to dictate my behavior.
i am not nice to you because you were nice to me..i am nice to you because i am a nice person... you cant change that. 
and i teach that to my kids..and it applies to all people, old or young, big or small 

mommaof697
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I think that by kids it should be shown unless the time comes when the adult is proven to not deserve it. 

teensrmyworld
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Respect is earned.  You can be 5 or 50, if you do not show respect you do not deserve it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)