Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do adults automatically deserve respect?

Posted by   + Show Post

I grew up treating anyone older than myself with respect automatically, but my husband was taught that you don't have to show respect unless a person earns it.

Do you believe that because someone is an adult or older than you, that your child or you should automatically respect them, or do you feel that respect is something someone earns?

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Replies (21-30):
bhow
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Earn it.  For a while it seemed as if every other "older" person I came in contact with was a bitch or arrogant jerk and acted like they could treat people how ever they wanted and it was okay.  I felt like they didn't care how they treated people because they knew since they were of that age they would get away with it.  My mother finally had a talk with her neighbor and the woman apologized to us.  She admitted that we were right.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:55 AM
That's why I landed myself in the office more than I was in class during my middle school/high school years. Haha. Most of the time it was when i voiced my disagreeance. I have major issues being kind to people who completely disrespect me or treat me as a lesser individual when I've otherwise done nothing to deserve that treatment other than exist. I believe you should be kind and respectful to everybody you meet until they show you that they don't deserve it. I want my children to speak up for themselves when they feel they need to, just as I did.
waytomanykids10
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I think everyone deserves respect until they lose it. I try to be respectful towards everyone, but if they treat me like crap, they automatically lose my respect.

Sister_Someone
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Respect is earned. Every person automatically deserves polite treatment, but it ends there. If they want something more than that, they'd damn well better show it to me too.

JenGo
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I teach my children to respect everyone. Just in humanity, there needs to be a certian level of respect for other people. To hold someone in high respect might be a little different. They are not allowed to be rude to anyone for any reason. If an adult does something bad/evil/cruel, then the respect may be lost.
By default, my kids are taught respect, but are also taught not to allow themselves to be used or walked all over.

tammy_lynne
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I give everyone respect, until they show me that they don't deserve it. Older or not. 

poshkat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I agree with your husband
momager2two
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Everyone deserves respect until they do something to lose it!
IhartU
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I don't get why a person being older would automatically mean they DESERVE repsect. Some adults are downright assholes and I would never expect my children to respect a person like that just because they happen to have been born before them.

Roo1234
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Everyone deserves civility and compassion--until they do something to indicate otherwise.  

I think a lot of people confuse the meanings of respect, both are applicable, but the connotations are different.  Make sure you are talking the same definition.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)