Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do adults automatically deserve respect?

Posted by   + Show Post

I grew up treating anyone older than myself with respect automatically, but my husband was taught that you don't have to show respect unless a person earns it.

Do you believe that because someone is an adult or older than you, that your child or you should automatically respect them, or do you feel that respect is something someone earns?

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
jessesbride
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM

EVERYONE should be shown respect, regardless of age. However, that said, when they've lost that respect, rudeness to others etc, you can be respectful while letting them know their actions are not ok... You showing respect shows your breeding, or lack there of, as the case may be...

Angela6296
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think my child has to FEEL respect toward anyone until they earn it.  However, he had better TREAT EVERYONE (not just adults) with respect until they lose that privilege.  Yes ma'am, No Sir, Thank you, Please, May I...  it's just good manners.

Lindalou907
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Yes, everyone should respect everyone. I can't stand rude people, no matter what their age.

petie1104
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I believe that everyone deserves respect. Not reverence, but basic respect. At this point they can either earn more, or lose the amount they are given. So, everyone will be shown an amount of respect, they will be referred to with respect regardless of age.

For older people, they are shown more respect due to more experience. If some information comes to light that shows they don't deserve respect, then I may lose respect for them.
CutieCrab
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Everyone should just respect each other. What really bothers me is when adults do not respect kids! Its like sense they are younger they don't deserve it. That really pisses me off.  Lol.

matofour
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Yes
Everyone deserves respect.

Respect is automatically given when my kids meet another person.
If that person does something to loose respect, I still expect my kids to take the high road and treat that person nicely, and not be disrespectful.
Momofmenagerie
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Yes, to a point. Respect if teachers ( even if they don't care for them). My dad and my teen have an odd respectful relationship.... It's based on insults..... However, it bully proofed him so it works for them . ( shrug , I hated it growing up, dad is kind of a bully)

Yes, they are taught to respect elders....all of them until they are adults themselves or unless the adult is pushing the child into a dangerous or illegal situation.
cntrdmom
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM
I think you should start out giving anyone respect simply because that's human decency. That's what I do and what I tech my kids. I expect they respect me because I take care of them, love them, and I respect them as well. Plus I consider myself to be their practice in how to show respect.
As they get older we can cover the difference between respecting someone and showing respect. For now I'm trying to teach them how and that they should just do it. They're still young though.
Jessy76
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Respect is earn. However I teach my children to treat everyone with respect because that is how I expect others to treat them. Even if the person is disrespectful to to my children they are aware that not stooping to that persons level makes them the bigger person. We try to rise above. It doesn't always work but we try. If the person continues to be disrespectful then we just don't associate with them. Being respectful of people is ALWAYS the best way to act. IMO

miss_AP
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I think EVERYONE, adult or not, deserves respect, even when they don't earn it. That's my job as being a kind and decent person and setting a good example. Them being disrespectful doesn't mean I have the right to be disrespectful back. I can stand up for myself and not tolerate their disrespect in a respectful manner, without stooping to dishing their disrespect back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN