Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do adults automatically deserve respect?

Posted by   + Show Post

I grew up treating anyone older than myself with respect automatically, but my husband was taught that you don't have to show respect unless a person earns it.

Do you believe that because someone is an adult or older than you, that your child or you should automatically respect them, or do you feel that respect is something someone earns?

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Replies (41-50):
babygirl_1012
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I teach my daughter that she should be nice and respectful to all people, unless they are acting stupid or doing something stupid, then she can say what she needs to say and put people in their place if necessary.

Maxi_Maxi
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Not adults but people in general. Even if they're being jerks, it's best to be polite and respectful while telling them so.
nixore
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Everyone automatically deserves respect.  BUT, they can lose the right to that respect, too. 

KymberleeAnn
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I don't teach my children that have to listen to everything an adult tell them to do, I explain that if anyone tries to get you do anything that you know displeases God then you are under no obligation to obey them.

They don't have to blantantly rude to any adult but as far as showing them the respect of being obedient, then no they do not have to listen any all things that adults tell them to do. I hope you understand the point I'm trying to make.

cj_reed
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I think any child should be taught to respect everybody, whether they are older or not. If the recipient isn't respectful back, then that respect flies out the door. But everybody should have respect for everybody, uneless something has destroyed that respect.

handy0318
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I think your husband's parents got it completely backwards... children (everyone really) should treat others with respect unless given a compelling reason not too.

PKOERNER
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Yes. Fundamentals of how to behave as an adult. Adults do not function progressively with an attitude that everyone they meet has to "earn it". I would not teach my children that way.
mommie2madison
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Both.  I too was raised that I didn't have to like my elders, but I sure had to respect them.  And in a lot of ways, those who are older than me have "earned" the right to be respected, especially by CHILDREN.  

As for an adult to an adult - that's a little different, but I would still demonstrate respect towards my elders.  Even if I had a specific thing to disagree with them on, I would do so respectfully.  (Although I'm human and can lose my tact on things that are highly emotional).  ;-)

ladybugrooke
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Here's my two cents worth. If I treat my child with zero respect who's to teach respect? I will not stand for being cussed at, yelled at, hit or in any other way being disrespected by my children. But if I don't respect all of those things recarding my children, why should I fault them if they give it right back to me?
ladybugrooke
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Here's my two cents worth. If I treat my child with zero respect who's to teach respect? I will not stand for being cussed at, yelled at, hit or in any other way being disrespected by my children. But if I don't respect all of those things recarding my children, why should I fault them if they give it right back to me?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)