Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is grammar really important??

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have a bone to pick with some people who feel the need that grammar is indeed important in own way of life and having a relationship with one another. Hi, my name is Jess and I have had issues with learning my whole life. And I've never been tested but I have always been in special classes all though school. My biggest problem is my grammar and sometimes making sense. When some people  make rude comments about others grammar and how they talk. I don't think they realize some have a really big problem with comprehension,confusion and sometimes common sense. That's only part of what some of us go through in our daily lives struggling with the ability to learn. Yeah my grammar might suck but I'm very proud of my self for not giving up and still reading,writing and trying to do my best everyday to learn. My issues, why are some so hard on others when it's not that important, unless that's your job. If your going to write something then it should make sense for your readers. But I'm not here to write a book so I can write however and whatever I like. What if the person your judging has issues but to afraid to admit cause you already have judge them not knowing they have a disorder or disability... What are you going to say "your old enough to learn these things on your own and that's not your problem"? What if they can't. What I'm saying, instead of judging others for something you clearly do not understand. You are not the only one who doesn't. You think it's adult of you to attack others with these issues?! Or how about instead of attacking, teach them. That's what I call being a adult... Other then that,here I am. I'm clearly admitting MY GRAMMAR SUCKS. Am I not good enough? Not good enough to even be your friend??       Well that's just to bad. I disagree cause I'm worth more then what you give US credit for.   I'm not bashing just saying. Understand then judge.

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
storkradio193
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I agree that some care too much about grammar here and similar sites.  Cafemom is just a message board and not an academic paper.  At the same time, one's writing must be clear enough to be understood.  Your writing seems clear enough to me.  Sorry you have felt attacked.

mommaJT
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:55 PM

This isn't all about me, it's has a lot to do with others who share the same things. Some take offense to what you might call it,issues or problems? Yes, I have been attacked before but I tend to stick up for others who either can't or don't know how too. And thank you for you concern. 

Quoting storkradio193:

I agree that some care too much about grammar here and similar sites.  Cafemom is just a message board and not an academic paper.  At the same time, one's writing must be clear enough to be understood.  Your writing seems clear enough to me.  Sorry you have felt attacked.

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting mommaJT:

If your going to write something then it should make sense for your readers.

That for me, is the key thing.

It isn't whether someone's formal grammar is perfect.  It is something similar, but distinct.  It is whether they have demonstrated that they care, that they have tried, that they have put at least some effort into making their words as easy for me to read and comprehend as they are capable of.

If someone values what they have to say so little that they would rather waste 1 minute of time for each of 20 readers, than spend 30 seconds of their own time proof reading their own words, then why should I value what they have to say?

I'll say again: not everyone is equally capable of using the current 'accepted grammar'.  Not everyone knows the difference between "You're" and "Your".   And that's absolutely fine.

My beef isn't with those who can't.   My beef is with those who can write clearer than they do here, but don't care enough to expend even a minimal effort in order to save others getting confused.

NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I do assume someone is not very smart when they have poor grammar and i do know i have noticed you in other posts that you have some issues with your grammar. I didn't say anything because what you said wasn't offensive or foolish.
People are going to judge you based on your grammar. Even if they don't say it. Yes it is important.
famiglia_bella
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Grammar is definitely important.  However, there is a difference between misunderstanding "your" and "you're", "then" and "than", etc..., and just not giving a rip.  When I see posts with "Wut would U do?" or mispelling after mispelling, I have to agree with the poster that said if they don't care enough to proofread (or hit the spellcheck), I probably don't care enough to read the post in its entirety.  I tend to correct spelling, but I teach so it just comes naturally.  I don't attack, though if I correct online, it might not always come across that way. 

jaylonsmommy26
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM
2 moms liked this

If you ever need help, I can help you. If you ever just want to talk or anything I'm here, no judgements :)

SinaiJ
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I would never be rude to someone about their grammar, but I consider it important. It's difficult to read things when it goes on and on, or you're not really sure where a sentence stops or starts or whatnot. I'm also a writer so there's another reason on why grammar is important to me haha

I think what would help you is being straight to the point and punctuating. Who cares if you have a ton of sentences, your point will at least be made. 

I'm sorry people have been so rude to you. Don't ever stop learning :o)

Twisties34
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this

It's a forum, not a book club. There's nothing wrong with what you wrote, so ignore the pettiness of others. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM
I'm not very nice when I see the messed up spelling, changing letters or not using vowels or not having punctuation so the whole thing is just a very long sentence.

I was able to understand your post.
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I think proper grammar is very important, but it's a function that is dying a slow death on this website every day. My biggest beef is text speak. Even if you are mobile, don't use text speak, it's ridiculous. 

You could be a card carrying member of MENSA, but if you don't use proper grammar and spelling, I'd still think you lack the mental capacity to carry on an intelligent conversation. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)