Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is it ever okay to leave kids alone in a car?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

In the carpool lane this week I saw a mom let her other child stay in the car while she walked her K or 1st grader inside. The little one was in a car seat, not more than 3 or 4. I can't imagine leaving my kid in a car alone like that. What do you think? Is it OK to leave kids alone in a car? At what age would you consider it to be OK?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
little.momma.D
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Omg never!!!!! I have a 15 2 & 1. If my 15 yr old isnt with me i will take the other 2 in with me. Even if its to the gas station. My children are more important than anything in the world. Leaving them in the car.... No, what if something happens?
Merstarr
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I think any honest person would admit to doing this vvv. In your own driveway? Absolutely. I mean, for a minute, not longer. But in public? You have to think not only of your childs ability to do themeslves harm, but sadly, that the world is a scary place. People abduct babies all the time!! I think if they are old enough to leave alone, then technically, they are just as easily brought in with you.

Quoting Stephd710:

Not in that situation.  Ive left mine in the car to run back in the house to grab something i left on the table.  

AnnaMess
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Once they start buckling up with the car seat bealt and they are aware that you are leaving I don't see a problem. I don't think leaving them in a carseat is ok.

franbaird
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I think absolutely not! The age for me would be 10. If I don't feel comfortable leaving them at home alone without a babysit I definitely don't feel comfortable leaving them in a car! 

The only time I've ever seen a child being left in a car was the car I parked next to and it was a baby, probably 4 months old in a car seat. It was a warm day and the windows were all rolled up in the car. It shocked me. We went into the store and walked out and the baby was still in there. We ended up calling the police.

jaylonsmommy26
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Never, don't do it!

lucyblue202
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Never. It only takes one minute for someone to kidnap them or for them to get out and wander away or who knows what else. Don't risk it. It may be more of a hassle to get your child(ren) in and out of the car if you'll be back in only a minute or two but it's just not worth the risk to leave them in the car. I would never risk it.

Flmomkris
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Nope. Never.
mommiejennie
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I would never leave my child  alone in the car.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I leave all 3 kids in the car. they are 11 and 5 and almost 20 months old. I leave them when I run into somewhere real quick.

Sometimes my 11 yr old stays in the car to play on her ipod while I do groceries and the other kids are with me.

I wouldnt leave my almost 20 month old dd in the car by herself, but with her older sister sure why not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I leave my chldren in the car for differnet things, I would never leave them out of sight though. I have left them in the parking lot at school to grab my son from the black top but its no more than 30 feet and insight.

I have left them to grab the pizza at papa murphys but again its no more than 20 feet, parked in front of the large glass doors and insight, 1 min tops. I rather leave younger (5 point harnessed) than older kids but that is just because they can't get into any trouble!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN