Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is it ever okay to leave kids alone in a car?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

In the carpool lane this week I saw a mom let her other child stay in the car while she walked her K or 1st grader inside. The little one was in a car seat, not more than 3 or 4. I can't imagine leaving my kid in a car alone like that. What do you think? Is it OK to leave kids alone in a car? At what age would you consider it to be OK?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Replies (21-26):
reche1978
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:47 PM

No way if I cant see my car no. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:48 PM
This isn't even a logical question anymore! NO TIME IS OKAY TO LEAVE YOUR CHILDREN ALONE IN THE CAR UNATTENDED!! EVER!!!!!! I immediately call 911 and report the tag and vehicle every single time I see this ANYWHERE!
awesomeamylynn
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I was too parinoid about something bad happening to them when they were younger. Now that they are teenagers, I do not have a problem with it if they do not want to go in the store with me.

TrishyyKat
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I never leave my kids in the car even if I'm gone for a second they come with me including picking up and dropping off my kindergartener.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Halloween tickers

Bookoholic
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM
This, also the outside gas stations here, I will park as close as possible to the pay station ( I only pay with cash) and pay within a few feet and continuously eyes on car till I pay.

Quoting Stephd710:

Not in that situation.  Ive left mine in the car to run back in the house to grab something i left on the table.  

Kfdmrw9312
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:42 PM

If the parent was within eye sight of the child and actively watching them, I don't see a huge scandal, but as soon as your eyes are taken off the car, no, bad idea. I actually saw a similar situation just the other day here, I was at a shopping mall and noticed this really expensive car sitting in front of a store, windows fully down, 2 kids inside, no adult in the car. I looked around shocked that someone would  A) leave their kids in the car, let alone in front of a shopping mall, and on top of that, in a very expensive car that could entice a car jacker. I looked around and saw no adult nearby anywhere in sight. I was with my daughter as we walked into the store that was directly next to the car. I kept looking over from time to time, (it was a while), as a parent, I was paranoid the two young kids could easily be abducted. Eventually a woman came back to the car from another store nearby (not with in eye shot of the car) and casually got in and left.(obviously their mom) It still annoys me people actually do stuff like that and don't realize how dangereous it is. It's not the old days anymore, you just can't leave your kids in the car and trust something won't happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)