Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Keeping thieves off property!

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:03 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
How can you do it?!? We have 85 acres that we are in charge of. It's a kids camp. Last year (in November), they came into the dining hall and tried to rip out all the copper. Someone else showed up to help close the camp at that time and he scared them off. We got all the copper back, but it was a huge amount of damage. (Think tens of thousands of dollars)
Today, we went around to check different things and the boat house locks had been cut with bolt cutters and one of the boats was gone.
We have a GSD/ACD mix running on the property. We have hunting cameras set out. What else can we do!?!? Our house is set about in the middle of it, but the only drive is past our house. NO ONE gets past the dog without our knowledge, so it has to be someone coming up from the lake. I could sit out there with a gun, but I don't know WHEN they are going to come (last time was broad daylight).
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Electric fence, more cameras, better locks, stake out...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayBeCareful
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Perhaps have a talk with local police or sheriff and ask if they can make regular drive throughs. I assume all your property is posted, as well. And NEVER go out unarmed and defenseless. So far, they have just been thieves and vandals but if other opportunities present themselves, there's no telling what they might do. The thieves seem to know when there will be no one around. Would it be feasible to hire a security guard? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:18 AM

lowes, home depot, harbor frieght. Driveway alarms (don't have to be in the driveway)  Depending on the distance from those buildings to your house, it can alarm you for 400 feet, the base could be in your house and it alarms when someone crossed past the sensors (which could be placed on trees and pointing in the direction of the lodges)

Other than that, even a baby monitor if it would reach your home sound wise, with the base in your home. Put the other alarm in the lodge, if someone comes in, you'll hear it charm in the lodge, and you can call the police and head out there with the gun.

Saharra
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:31 AM
I LOVE the idea.... The only thing is that my luck- we would hear the bell go off, call the police and head down with a gun, and a deer would be standing there :) LOL. The deer are moving really heavy right now.

Quoting Anonymous:

lowes, home depot, harbor frieght. Driveway alarms (don't have to be in the driveway)  Depending on the distance from those buildings to your house, it can alarm you for 400 feet, the base could be in your house and it alarms when someone crossed past the sensors (which could be placed on trees and pointing in the direction of the lodges)

Other than that, even a baby monitor if it would reach your home sound wise, with the base in your home. Put the other alarm in the lodge, if someone comes in, you'll hear it charm in the lodge, and you can call the police and head out there with the gun.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Is it possible to hire someone to stay out on the property all the time to keep an eye on things? You might talk to an alarm company about setting up a security system on all of the buildings where there's anything of value like the copper or the boats, etc.?

Saharra
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM
It not :( It's a non-profit so it's kinda a volunteer scenario. We live here to make the camp look lived in, so it makes you think it's one of the neighbors. Can't wait for snow. It's harder to get to ANYTHING with the amounts of snow we get and we don't plow through it all because it shuts down :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Is it possible to hire someone to stay out on the property all the time to keep an eye on things? You might talk to an alarm company about setting up a security system on all of the buildings where there's anything of value like the copper or the boats, etc.?

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Wow, yeah, it would have to be a neighbor to know when someone's not there so they can strike. How sad, though, to think a neighbor would do that to a non-profit camp like that. Game cameras can be really cheap, though, and put up in areas all over to try to help you catch the culprit, and maybe that's something the police could use as well?

Quoting Saharra:

It not :( It's a non-profit so it's kinda a volunteer scenario. We live here to make the camp look lived in, so it makes you think it's one of the neighbors. Can't wait for snow. It's harder to get to ANYTHING with the amounts of snow we get and we don't plow through it all because it shuts down :) 
NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM
2 moms liked this
My moms neighbor works for homeland security. He has perimeter sensors so if anyone steps on his property he is there in minutes on his atv. With a gun. LOL he's a really nice guy thankfully.
GertieK
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Bless your heart.  Just be grateful that you CAN own and carry a gun when needed.  It is amazing that some people are willing to steal from a non-profit that works with children.  Extreme selfishness.  We have cameras set up around our property that we can access from the house on our TV.  That way if there is a problem, we can check first to see who/what (Bambi?) it is before calling LE.  My husband used to own a company that installed security systems in prisons, hospitals, homes, large businesses etc., so when he reitred he kept some of the equipment and set it all up.  As a non-profit (I also work for a non-profit), we have found it works to appeal to our donors and the public when we run into problems.  You would be surprised (or maybe not) what they are willing to do/donate to help fix the situation.

Jlee4249
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I saw the coolest, although funny, idea on pinterest the other day for a homemade perimeter alarm:  air horn, mostly buried, with a large, flat rock propped up above iiiiiiit by a small stick, using a string attached to the small stick.  
So, for your boat house, for instance, across the bottom of the boat house, about ankle-height, you'd tie a string across the entrance onto a small stick which you'd use to prop up a rock just above a airhorn.  Viola!  An alarm you'd definitely hear from your house and loud enough to scare away anyone.  hehehe.
Then there's always motion lights.  and even a laser-tag game you can buy for $30-ish.  
http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Planet-70278-Lazer-Tripwire/dp/B0024UJIJ8/ref=sr_1_42?ie=UTF8&qid=1380955962&sr=8-42&keywords=laser+tag   I don't know how loud they are.  And then there's the always helpful dogs.   But honestly, motion lights would be the most helpful.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)