Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What do you think of breastfeeding your child past 3 years old?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM
  • 58 Replies

Belly-Dancing Mom Still Breastfeeds 5-Year-Old Daughter

by Adriana Velez

five year old girls
Not Al Musa's daughter
There's extended breastfeeding, as in breastfeeding your toddler. And then there's extended breastfeeding, kindergarten edition. Australian mom of three Maha Al Musa still breastfeeds her 5-year-old daughter. And she says she'll keep breastfeeding her daughter until she's 10, if she wants to. "I believe it helps boost her immune system. To this day, she is very rarely ill and her temperament is calmer and more relaxed than the other children," Al Musa says.

Okay, I know what's supposed to happen here. Half of you are supposed to recoil in horror and disgust, while the other half of you do a fist pump and say, "YEAH! Good for her!" Me, I'm just curious. I have so many questions.

How does that work, exactly? I mean, I KNOW how it works. I've breastfed myself. In fact, I nursed my son until he was almost 3. (I kept waiting for this legendary self-weaning to happen and it never did.) But Al Musa's daughter is entering a new age of sociability and peer groups. I wonder what her friends think about her nursing. Will she really want to keep nursing longer, or is she going to feel self-conscious? Does she nurse on-demand, or only at night when she's going to bed? Doesn't Al Musa want her breasts back? That's what led me to wean my son -- I couldn't take it anymore. I started to feel like he was sucking away my soul.

But enough about me, let's get back to Al Musa. Did I mention she's 51? And a belly dancer -- who belly-danced her way through labor? Apparently she's a fertility goddess. Look up "FEMALE" in the dictionary and you'll probably see a photo of Al Musa, looking all strong and maternal and womanly. She's one of those large-breasted, totally self-assured Uber-Mamas who tend to intimidate me. There is so much estrogen radiating from her all the way over in Australia, I think I may start ovulating now, regardless of where I am in my cycle. Good God.

Okay, Al Musa. You breastfeed for as long as you damn well want to. I'm not getting in your way.

Anyway, good for her. She looks happy and healthy, her two sons and daughter look happy and healthy. We don't get to see her husband, but he's probably thrilled to wake up every morning next to this woman who looks 15 to 20 years younger than she is. All joking aside, whatever she's doing, it's working for her and her family. And as long as it really is up to her daughter how long she breastfeeds, what do the rest of us care?

What do you think of breastfeeding your child past 3 years old?

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Very strange. They don't need the nutrition and if they need comfort at 3 they shouldn't need Mom's boob for comfort.
Light.Shine
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM

At that I age I would think that was child abuse.

Apgsteenmommy
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this

i dont see a problem with it.... not really our business..

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting Light.Shine:

At that I age I would think that was child abuse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I stopped at 1.5 years with all 4 of ,y amazing children. Once they had teeth that was it no more. I can't imagine bfing my 5 year old, 10 seems weirder yet(I have a 10 yr old daughter btw)
Every woman has her own way of doing things though so I guess if she wants to do that then that is her business. Seems a bit strange to me though.
lizard3731
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I think it's very strange.  I breastfed my dd until she was 14 months.  And both of my sons until they were about 9 months.  My goal was to breastfeed for their first year, but my sons self-weaned.  I can't see any benefit for anyone at age 3.

AnnaMess
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I've stopped the nursing at just before 2 on the ones I have nursed. My last one just up and stopped nursing before she turned one. She was done and refused to drink even what I had pumped.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I think thats not right.Thats too old

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Time to put it in a cup.
GertieK
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM
2 moms liked this

I did, and I think it is nun-ya.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN