Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I can't believe she would say this!! UPDATE & EDIT

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:45 PM
  • 90 Replies
1 mom liked this

So tonight my DD, DH, and I are talking to my father on the phone who lives in Wisconsin and is a die hard Packers fan. My DD was wearing a Raiders shirt because my DH is a Raiders fan. My dad is joking with my DD and saying that she should be wearing a Packers shirt. My DD says to my dad, "I don't want to wear a Raiders shirt because they suck a lot."! I could not believe she would say something like that as she knows what "rock words" are and knows they are not allowed. I asked her where she heard that from and she said she heard it from school. I asked her who at school and she said she was a teacher, she didn't know her name, and it was NOT her teacher. I am not sure which teacher it was and frankly I don't believe it matters who. I am a little upset with the fact that a teacher is using such words at an elementary school around children. I understand that football, especially this time of year, is very competitive. However, I do believe that it was inappropriate to be saying around children. My DD is in Kindergarten and I am tempted to say something to her teacher. Would I be making too much out of nothing if I did or would I have every right to? Ideas? Let it go or speak up? Any help or advice would be great.

UPDATE: So just an FYI to all of the mom's on here that think I shouldn't say anything. I went against the advice of everyone but one person. First of all I am shocked that out of all the responses I received on here only ONE person understood where I was coming from. Below you will find the e-mail to the teacher and the response from her (and the principal that she forwarded it to)

Hello,

So tonight DD, DH, and I are talking to my father on the phone who lives in Wisconsin and is a die hard Packers fan. DD (as I'm sure you saw today) was wearing a Raiders shirt because DH is a Raiders fan. My dad is joking with DD and saying that she should be wearing a Packers shirt. DD says to my dad, "I don't want to wear a Raiders shirt because they suck a lot."! I could not believe she would say something like that as she knows what "rock words" are and knows they are not allowed. I asked her where she heard that from and she said she heard it from school. I asked her who at school and she said she was a teacher, she didn't know her name, and it was NOT you. I am not sure which teacher it was and frankly I don't believe it matters who. I am a little upset with the fact that a teacher is using such words at an elementary school around children. I understand that football, especially this time of year, is very competitive. However, I do believe that it was inappropriate to be saying at school since I'm sure if she were to say that in school she would have gotten in trouble. I know you can't exactly figure out who said what and I do not want to make a big deal out of it. I only mean for this to be a friendly reminder that there are little ears around, lol. :) Any questions just let me know.

Thank you,

----------------------

Response from Teacher this morning:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I’m not sure where she would have heard this. We have very professional staff, and they are appropriate with the students. However, I know sometimes it is possible for us to slip. We work hard as a class and as a school to ensure that we have a positive and caring climate for our students so I will use this for a discussion point during one of our morning meetings. I know that we have talked about this in the past, but reminders are nice.

I am including the Principal in this e-mail. I think it is important for him to know about this as well.

As a Green Bay fan myself, I can relate to DD's grandpa :)  So, before I end this e-mail… I’m just going to say way to go PACKERS!! Oakland did alright this weekend too :)

Thanks again,

DD's Teacher

----------------------

Response from Principal this morning:

As a DIE HARD Oakland Raiders fan, I am mortally offended! 

DD's Teacher summed this up perfectly, when she said we do our best, but sometimes slip.  It will provide an opportunity to address this at next staff meeting (anon), so that people take more care about what they say, and how they say it. That particular word is a pet peeve of mine and yes, would warrant a re-teaching if a student (or staff) were to use it in front of me.

You have my apology on their behalf and will try to ensure that it doesn’t repeat itself. 

Thank you both for bringing this to my attention. 

On a brighter note, I got to wear my Raiders tie today (I do whenever we win.), and no one has mentioned anything of our poor record (2-3) to me yet!  :)

------------------------

Edit:

I am appalled at all of the negative feedback. I was expecting to see more than a handful of parents who cared about what happens at their childrens school. At what extent do things need to happen for you to speak up? This is exactly why the world is so negative. I have been complimented so many times on how polite and well mannered my children are especially the DD in question. She is very friendly and will be the first one to go up to a child who is playing by themselves and be their friend. If more people raised their children to be respectful and caring human beings I think things in this world would be A LOT different and impacted in a positive way. As I stated before, It is sad to see how many of you settle for 2nd best. :(

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twicethemomjess
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
They are going to learn bad words. Just explain its inappropriate.
Monkeys_mom08
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I understand that she is going to learn them and if she would have said she heard it from a student I wouldn't be so upset. The fact that she heard it from a teacher is what is bugging me.

Quoting twicethemomjess:

They are going to learn bad words. Just explain its inappropriate.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM
9 moms liked this
What the hell are rock words? What's wrong with saying something sucks? She used it in the right context, good for her . Move on and don't react to this in any way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with all of that. And to think I felt bad when my kid said the f word.

Quoting marchantmom06:

What the hell are rock words? What's wrong with saying something sucks? She used it in the right context, good for her . Move on and don't react to this in any way.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Monkeys_mom08
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Rock words are basically mean or hurtful words that are not allowed to be said in school or at home (we learned the difference between rock words and squishy words when she went to headstart last year). I personally don't feel that suck is a good word whether it was used in the correct context or not.

Quoting marchantmom06:

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:15 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't think that you should base anything on something head start said.

And sucks is not a bad word. Had she said fuck the raiders, that would be something to correct. But your child isn't cussing, she isn't attacking a person, or cutting someone down. Sucks is very appropriate for her age.

Quoting Monkeys_mom08:

Rock words are basically mean or hurtful words that are not allowed to be said in school or at home (we learned the difference between rock words and squishy words when she went to headstart last year). I personally don't feel that suck is a good word whether it was used in the correct context or not.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this
My 21 year old son when he was younger told my mother he would act better if she stopped treating him like shit. He was 3 I think.

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Mine is three now, and a few months ago she started calling shoes fucking shoes. We thought she was saying socks and shoes until one day she argued with us because she already had socks on... That's the only cursing incident we've had so far. When I was a kid I called margarine crap. Not because I didn't like it, I just thought that's what it was called. Your son sounds like he was a smart kid.

Quoting marchantmom06:

My 21 year old son when he was younger told my mother he would act better if she stopped treating him like shit. He was 3 I think.

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Monkeys_mom08
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Did I mention that she is in Kindergarten?? In regards to "what head start said" It's a simple way to explain to children the difference between good words and bad words. Suck would be appropriate if she was say 9. I don't allow my children to walk around saying that things "suck". By the way I also don't allow her to say  fat, can't, stupid, or dumb. 

Quoting marchantmom06:

I don't think that you should base anything on something head start said.

And sucks is not a bad word. Had she said fuck the raiders, that would be something to correct. But your child isn't cussing, she isn't attacking a person, or cutting someone down. Sucks is very appropriate for her age.

Quoting Monkeys_mom08:

Quoting marchantmom06:

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
My mother was an angel. I think he just wasn't getting something he wanted. Lol

My now 5 year old went through a spell of saying ALL cuss words. He used them appropriately and we told him when he couldn't not use them and then he grew out of it about 3 weeks later. He has 4 older brothers and and older sister. He has heard a very colorful vocabulary.

My 9 year old daughter told the collections plate men at church she didn't have any coins, because she used them on her whores when she was about 4. And she meant horses. But didn't come out that way. Lol I have so many of these stories I could write a book.

Quoting polkaspots:

Mine is three now, and a few months ago she started calling shoes fucking shoes. We thought she was saying socks and shoes until one day she argued with us because she already had socks on... That's the only cursing incident we've had so far. When I was a kid I called margarine crap. Not because I didn't like it, I just thought that's what it was called. Your son sounds like he was a smart kid.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)