Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

**update** colds & doctor visits

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM
  • 25 Replies
When your child has a cold (cough, runny/stuffy nose, water eyes) how long do you wait until you take him/her to the doctor?

Usually dont take him in for a cold but his cough is absolutly horrible :(

** I will clarify that I am not and did not rush him to the doctor. I was just curious about how long parents normally wait for it all to go away. So far all his symptoms are the same.
I will admit I do have a hard time waiting because the first time I waited instead of following my gut instinct, he was almost severly dehydrated and almost hospitalized. I never took him in because he didn't have a fever but wasn't keeping anything down. So I waited for it to pass... he is also famous for having ear infections without showing any symptoms at all.
I know there is nothung the dr can do for a cold. But I do known if OTC meds don't work they can prescribe a better cough medicine.
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Never. A cold is viral. Fever is different. Wait a couple days or more with a mild fever or mild cough before going to the doctor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Usually recommend allowing virus to run its course can take up to 14 days. Symptomatic treatment with over the counter medication. If persists or runs over the 14 days. Complicated with fever contact your provider.
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I don't take them in fr a cold. Now if it lasts and lasts( more than a couple of weeks) and they start coughing more and start getting fevers I will take them in. We all had bronchitis after a cold a few years ago. It was miserable.
MrsHayward1
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I dont take her i just buy some over the counter med and that usually works

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Never for a cold. My doctor doesn't want to see kids with rashes (take a pic and email to ensure it isn't contagious) unless its safe around other kids. No colds either. There is nothing a doctor can do for things like chicken pox and a cold anyway.
fudgybuddymom
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I don't unless she has a barky cough or the like cause she may have bronchitis but a regular cold with a cough,runny nose etc, no I don't take her cause md will only treat symptoms & I can do that just as well at home.

sweetspice03
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I do what I can at home and let the cold run its course.  But if the cold shows no signs of going away or gets worse despite treatment, or the cough is severe and/or bark-like, I take them in.  My doc's office also has advice nurses available, so if I'm unsure of something, I can call them and they advise me on the next step to take.  

lkane81
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I just let it run its course unless the cough gets really bad. Or iy lasts more than 2 weeks.
Ellie-Mae
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I don't. Even a normal fever (under 104) and I don't run to the doctor. A cough is a little different. If it goes on for more than a week, if there is pain with the cough or it sounds "bark-like" (bronchitis), if there is any trouble breathing, or if it sounds particularly gurgly or "wet" when breathing (pneumonia), I will call the on-call nurse who will advise me to come in/go to ER, wait it out, or call in a prescription.

Most pediatricians have someone to handle calls. If you ever aren't sure, just call and they'll tell you what to do. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM

For a regular cold no, since my child has asthma, IF it gets REALLY out of control I do, if she needs a shot of something to help her breath.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)