Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

How would you react if your child got a letter like THIS?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM
  • 16 Replies

School Sends 11-Year-Old Home With Letter 'Informing' Parents She's Fat (VIDEO)

by Mary Fischer

kristen grasso

Would you consider a female who is 5'5" and 124 pounds to be fat? Yeah, me neither, which is why it's nothing short of outrageous that an 11-year-old was deemed overweight in a letter that was sent home from school for her parents to review.

The county health department came to Lily Grasso's middle school in Naples, Florida and conducted a health screening of the kids. Since Lily's BMI registered at 22, she was put into the "overweight" category -- which of course has her mother, Kristen, absolutely outraged.

Check out this video to hear more about what happened.

Ugh. As if today's tween girls don't feel enough pressure to be thin and have perfect bodies, now schools are contributing to their self-esteem issues by sending home stupid letters like this. Did you see that photo of Lily? She's perfectly normal, athletic, strong, and healthy -- which is what we should hope for our kids to strive to be. She's certainly not the least bit overweight in any sense of the word -- but now she's probably going to wonder if she needs to lose a few pounds since by the health department's standards, she's fat.

And you know what's really disheartening? If Lily was put into the overweight category, then odds are good that plenty of other kids also had notes sent home with them -- which is basically a recipe for disaster as far as a group of middle school girls is concerned. If this were my daughter, I'd be so irate, and as Kristen asked, I'd wonder why a test like this being done at the school instead of at the doctor's office.

I'm all for encouraging our kids to make wise choices as far as diet and exercise goes -- but is it really necessary to do a health screening like this and humiliate them? And even though parents could opt out, it appears as though it was not made clear that their weight was going to be a factor. You can't blame Kristen for not having any qualms about letting Lily participate in the screening.

Why can't schools focus on making sure kids, and girls in particular, have a healthy and realistic body image instead of subjecting them to this kind of scrutiny? If screenings like this keep up, they're basically asking for these kids to have self esteem issues -- and that just isn't right.

How would you react if your child got a letter like this?

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhow
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM

We get them every year, twice a year.  Have since they started, eldest is in 10th other is in 8th.  We check them out and throw them away.  They come addressed to us as the parents...NOT the child.  Children do not see them.  We have never mentioned them to the kids, has never been a need to.  

We really don't care what the state says, we see our kids and know they are not fat or ever weight, as this woman clearly states with her daughter.  I don't see a reason for the fuss.  Too many other things in life to stress over.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Sadly many children are overweight and parents think they are not. One reason we have so many obese and overweight kids today.
My kids had BMI rates every year in school. One wqs underweight and one average.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
harymarshman
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I would talk it over with my child's dr and if the dr felt there was an issue we would make a plan of action. Why is this difficult?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Age aside...124 for a person the height of 5'5 is perfect. Who the fuck are they fooling? A lot of people I know stopped growing at about that age, including myself. I'm 5'5 and I used to be 150 (I've gained a bit since then due to pregnancy and shit like that) But I was a size 8 in pants so honestly, was I fat...fuck no I wasn't. Was I told that I was overweight, I sure was. My doctor constantly told me I was overweight, but I don't remember him ever really looking me in the eyes to tell me, always looking at the charts that put everyone into a stupid category.

Schools shouldn't even be doing health screenings, thats not their job, they should be teaching kids academics, not giving them body issues.

And the charts crap is ridiculous.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I say that if she would have just thrown the letter away nothing would have ever come of it but now she and her daughter are on the news so the whole world know about it. Im sure her 11 year old is thrilled about that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM
20 years ago size 8 today was a 12. Not saying it is overweight though. I am 5 ft 2 and I have to be 130 to be a tight size 8 and I am small boned.

Quoting Anonymous:

Age aside...124 for a person the height of 5'5 is perfect. Who the fuck are they fooling? A lot of people I know stopped growing at about that age, including myself. I'm 5'5 and I used to be 150 (I've gained a bit since then due to pregnancy and shit like that) But I was a size 8 in pants so honestly, was I fat...fuck no I wasn't. Was I told that I was overweight, I sure was. My doctor constantly told me I was overweight, but I don't remember him ever really looking me in the eyes to tell me, always looking at the charts that put everyone into a stupid category.

Schools shouldn't even be doing health screenings, thats not their job, they should be teaching kids academics, not giving them body issues.

And the charts crap is ridiculous.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM
My girls are adults and don't weigh 124 but they are short. Maybe this girl is gonna be 6 ft 1 like my neighbor girl.
KRIZZ25
sex is not most important ..infect its not important at all .its a function like going bath room.only u can live wth out it.
Yesterday at 7:58 PM
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM
I SEEN THAT STORY ON THE NEWS..I WOULD FLIP OUT ON SCHOOL,TEACHERS.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

BMI is a joke. It does not take into account a person's muscle/build, only their weight & height, which is just ridiculous. A person can be very thin, but will weigh in as "heavy" because they are very muscular. It's just stupid!

My DS's school sends one of those notes home every year to tell me he's "overweight"....ummm, no, he's not, he's a very athletic & muscular kid who weighs in as "heavy" because of his muscle, but he looks like a bean pole.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM
It is a screening which means talk to your doctor. Nothing to freak out and go to the tv and newspaper over.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)