Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Sending sick kids to school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

The school policy at my DD's school is if your child is sent home sick then they have to be fever free for 24 hours without medication. So obviously no kid can come back the very next day. This parent has sent her child to school the next day TWICE. Her son was sent home for throwing up and she sent him back the next day. Then the next week he was sent home with a fever and once again she sent him back the next day. What is wrong with these people? Would you ever send your kid to school if they were sent home sick the day before, even though school policy stated not to?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:54 PM
i mean school policy said fever free right? so with the vomiting as long as it had stopped and he never had a fever well he should be fine. my SD has a HORRIBLE cough and has had it for two weeks. no fever, no runny nose just a cough. she hs been to the dr twice and gotten meds. dr assured us she is not contagious and its fine to send her to school. so we do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM

My kid's school have the same rules.  I haven't sent them to school the very next day after throwing up or having a fever.  Maybe she's a single mom?  or if she misses anymore work she'll be fired?  or maybe she's just an a**hole?  Idk...not something I've done.

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Nope. DS has missed 8 days in the past two weeks because he's been sick. :( 

KyliesMom5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I probably would just because my daughter's school has been such a pain and has given me so much grief about my daughter being sick (in years past). I mean i follow those policies but yet they want to come after me for Truency even with Doctor's notes.

I wouldn't really but I have been tempted to because of the issues I have had with the school.

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:47 PM

One year I had a student tell me he was late because his mom took him to the doctor and she would get him his strep throat meds after school. =/  

Mom was not pleased when she had to leave work to get him.  I was thinking "you are lucky there are privacy laws because I would tell every parent in my class what you did."  Later that week 8 kids were out with strep.   Honestly I wish there was a legal way for me to inform the parents that she owes them for co pays and lost work. 

caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM
thats awful. everyone knows strep is super easy to spread

Quoting NDADanceMom:

One year I had a student tell me he was late because his mom took him to the doctor and she would get him his strep throat meds after school. =/  

Mom was not pleased when she had to leave work to get him.  I was thinking "you are lucky there are privacy laws because I would tell every parent in my class what you did."  Later that week 8 kids were out with strep.   Honestly I wish there was a legal way for me to inform the parents that she owes them for co pays and lost work. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Docgirl2000
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM
My school and my ds' school are fever and vomit free for 24 hours med-free. Makes it a little hard for me becuz ds' fevers come and go over the course of a week. He could be fever free for 24 hours then it comes back out of nowhere. I just do my best. I dont like sending him sick becuz he wont learn anything if he feels crummy and i dont want him getting his classmates sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM

If my kids have a fever or throwing up they stay home until they have not thrown up for 24 hours

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Our school has the same policy and I follow the policy. Some parents don't though. Ever.

Last spring at scouts, we were touring the local police station. All of the kids got the chance to try on the swat gear including the helmet. I saw one of the moms (who is also a teacher in the school district) picking through her sons hair. She saw me watching her and laughed and said "Im just making sure! I don't want to be the mom that spreads lice through cub scouts! He's fine!"  18 hours later we get a call from the school that this boy has lice and everyone from the cub scout troup had to be checked. Luckily my son didn't get it because he tried on the helmet before her son, but I was livid. That is the first and last time I give another mom the benefit of the doubt. 

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I've never, but she's only in pre-k. I don't think I would though. I was the type of kid who fainted when I was sick, and dd does too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)