Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to stop a bully?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
I drive to pick my son up from middle school everyday. I always leave extra early so that I can get a good parking spot. But this post isn't about my child.

The elementary school down the street lets out at the same time I get there to wait and there is this one kid that totally irks me. The first occasion happened while I was driving down the street. I saw him beating up a small child. Small child was on the ground while others were standing around watching. I immediately stopped my car in the middle of the road and laid on my horn. That made the bully stop and all the kids dispersed. On other occasions I have seen this turd of a bully smack a girls butt, push other kids, etc. Yesterday I saw him repeatedly push, kick, pull sweatshirt off neck, and trip another small child. It absolutely breaks my heart, and I don't know what to do. I thought about following either the bully or child being bullied home to tell their parents, but I feel that could only end badly for me. I also thought about having a talk with this bully, but I think that may make it worse for the kids getting bullied. Does anyone have any advice??? I really want this to stop, and it kills me to witness this behavior.
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amber94
by New Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:30 PM

tell somebody at the school to keep a eye out of that kid.

1frog
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this

You need to take some pix as proof since you don't know who the kid is and take it to school and show them. Even though it isn't on school property they can do something. My son was pulled off his bike by his backpack straps, 3 of them got him up against and beat the shit out of him. Fortunately a teachers assistant was going past and she stopped and made all the kids go back to school. I could only prove one kid was responsible, the one that got "caught" hitting. I filed police charges and he had to go through all sorts of classes, make restitution, etc. I also met with the principal the next morning and made sure that child would have nothing further to do with mine, not any of the same classes, nothing. I made her put a note in his file regarding this and made sure it stayed there until he dropped out of school. You really  need to speak up and do something. If you don't you are enabling a bully, and worse.

I tried to get him thrown out of school, but because it wasn't on school grounds I could only go through the legal system.

SissyAnn141
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I do agree, with all above me .

In the end They will say  "DO YOU HAVE PROOF & DATED"

You need to have Someone, get a picture of HIM DOING IT.....

Then break it up............good

BL2010
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Talk to someone at the school and let them handle it. 

Mommy2_two
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree snap a picture of the kid and take it in to the elementary school and tell them.

mamakin616
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I would call the elementary school and make them aware of it,I would also take some pics and send them to the schools website and let them know that I will also be sending the pics to  the police and local newspapers website ..Sometimes the schools pay NO ATTENTION unless it happens on the school grounds..But these kids have to go  to and from school and have the right to be safe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe the school is responsible until the children are home, at least that's what it is where I live. Since you go early, you should go into the office of both schools and let them know what you've seen and describe the kid.  I don't know if you can get into trouble for taking pictures of a random kid, although it'd be helpful in this situation since you do not know who he is.  Let the school handle it from there.  

The only way you should get involved is if you see him in the act, otherwise you could have repercussions as well.  The world we live in is a mixed up place and even though you are doing the right thing, it could get turned around on you. 

mamacelis
by New Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for sharing your story. I didn't even think about taking a picture. I'm glad you and others suggested it! I actually just took a video from my phone and am bringing it up to the school as soon as my son gets into the car. Thanks again!

Quoting 1frog:

You need to take some pix as proof since you don't know who the kid is and take it to school and show them. Even though it isn't on school property they can do something. My son was pulled off his bike by his backpack straps, 3 of them got him up against and beat the shit out of him. Fortunately a teachers assistant was going past and she stopped and made all the kids go back to school. I could only prove one kid was responsible, the one that got "caught" hitting. I filed police charges and he had to go through all sorts of classes, make restitution, etc. I also met with the principal the next morning and made sure that child would have nothing further to do with mine, not any of the same classes, nothing. I made her put a note in his file regarding this and made sure it stayed there until he dropped out of school. You really  need to speak up and do something. If you don't you are enabling a bully, and worse.

I tried to get him thrown out of school, but because it wasn't on school grounds I could only go through the legal system.

callmemaybe
by New Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I've intervened before in those situations . . . by stopping and yelling at the kid.  I once stopped a kid from beating his brother.  I have no idea what happened to that poor child after that, but I scolded the boy and told him it was totally WRONG to hit anyone.

I just hoped that somehow that made a difference.

SissyAnn141
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Quoting mamacelis:

Thank you for sharing your story. I didn't even think about taking a picture. I'm glad you and others suggested it! I actually just took a video from my phone and am bringing it up to the school as soon as my son gets into the car. Thanks again!

Quoting 1frog:

In the meantime, give "YOUR CHILD PERMISSION"

TO DEFEND HIS-SELF....

..Should this child come after him at school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)