Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is this a normal reaction to a flu shot?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:04 AM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I took my dd (3) to get her flu shot yesterday morning and woke up today with it looking like this. I know swelling and redness are normal but this much? Its almost as big as my hand, hard and has fever in it. She says it doesn't hurt though, just itches, is it normal?
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Did you call the Doctor ?

rosewind13
by New Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:08 AM
I don't get the flu shot but I'm going to guess no... I would call the doctor.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM
I wouldn't think so. I got the flu shot my entire childhood along with my entire family. I've never seen that before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SissyAnn141
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you call the Doctor ?

It is not a live flu shot anymore, and it does say redness may appear .

Is she okay now other wise ?

ajbria2010
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Yes I called her Dr and am waiting for someone to call back. She is fine other than that, no fever or anything isn't complaining of pain just scratches it from time to time.
rosewind13
by New Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:33 AM
If it itches it may be a rash. I can't think of any other reason it would. Hopefully the docs call you soon.

Quoting ajbria2010:

Yes I called her Dr and am waiting for someone to call back. She is fine other than that, no fever or anything isn't complaining of pain just scratches it from time to time.
SWEET737
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:37 AM

She may have been scratching it in her sleep. I use to put socks on my children's hands at night because I knew they would be scratching and that can irritate the area. It would have been a good idea for you to rub the area so the medicine from the shot wouldn't settle in one area. You can maybe apply some anti itch cream on the area. At one time, my daughter only swell up if she got bite by a mosquito but now just a normal shot would swell. If she scratches the area, it would really get swollen and hot. 

ajbria2010
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Her Dr called back and were jerks, I need to switch, they said if I feel like there is n emergency to take her to the er otherwise I should make an appt bc they can't tell me anything over the phone without seeing it. She is asleep, I put a big of frozen peas on it and it cooled off and isnt as hard.
wixychixy
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:50 AM

That's what mine looked like with the injection.  I ended up in the hospital with it.  My bp went up, I was sweating even though it was cold, I was dizzy, nauseous, and vomiting within a few minutes after getting it.  I'm allergic to preservatives they use and can't even take the mist.

ajbria2010
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Did you have any other symptoms? How long did it take for all of that to happen? I don't know if I should take her to the er or wait until the morning :/

Quoting wixychixy:

That's what mine looked like with the injection.  I ended up in the hospital with it.  My bp went up, I was sweating even though it was cold, I was dizzy, nauseous, and vomiting within a few minutes after getting it.  I'm allergic to preservatives they use and can't even take the mist.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)