Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

At what age do you think a child is mature enough to decide to change gender?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM
  • 22 Replies

Parents Allow 6-Year-Old to Legally Change His Gender

by Ericka Sóuter

genderMost of us can't imagine what it's like to be born into a gender that just doesn't feel right. Being transgender must be one of the toughest things a person could face. So I've always felt strongly that adults who experience this should have the right to choose which gender they want to live as. But should the same right be afforded to a young child? A 6-year-old Argentinian boy has been granted a new birth certificate saying he is female. And I just wonder if that is too young to make such a huge decision.

The boy, born Manuel, has been dressing as a little girl since age 4 and prefers to be called Lulu. This is the first time a minor has been able to reassign their sex under the country's gender-identity law. Previously, only adults have changed their names and sexes without needing a judge or doctor approval. And now that a child has done so, it sets a groundbreaking precedent.

This entire issue is frightening to me, to be honest. I hate the thought of a little boy or girl feeling that they were born into the wrong body. For a period of time, they must feel so anguished, so alone, so misunderstood. It's heartbreaking. So I am relieved that more and more communities are understanding of transgender issues and allowing them to be who they truly are. So I am very much supportive of a young person being able to choose how to dress and act if they don't want to conform to gender roles.

However, being able to legally reassign your gender is a big decision for a small child to make. At that age, a day with them can easily be an emotional roller coaster. They can’t even control their tantrums. So how can we let them legally change their gender when they have so much emotional maturing yet to do. I would even understand letting a pre-teen or teen make that decision, but 6 seems just too young.

At what age do you think a child is mature enough to make this decision? Why?

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Over 18. 6 is too young to get a new birth certificate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

18.  Just like everything else. 

When I was a kid I wanted desperately to be African American, but my mom did NOT let me walk around in black face.  I eventually grew out of it. 

Kids go through phases all the time.  Let them be a kid first. 

BL2010
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Crap! Certainly not at 6 years old....Morons 

lilbit53009
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

18...just like the age decided that someone can decide anything for themselves

6 is way too young...what if they change their mind? will they keep changing the birth certificate back and forth?

Marisol1106
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I agree with the age 18. When they are legally a adult and has had time to decide if that is what they really want. Anythimg before is way too young and they may realize it was just a phase and they outgrow it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM

When they turn 18, they can do whatever they want. My boys are boys and my girls are girls, they have no desire to be the opposite gender. Other then I think my 8 year old hates boys and is totally in love with girls. Her and her best friend are very lovey dovey with each other and they both say they are going to marry each other, lol but hey, whatever.

caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
i mean i dont really have that big of an issue with it. its a piece of paper, it can always be changed again if need be. now gender reassignment surgery, thats permanent. research has shown that most transgender and gay people are aware of this sometime between the ages of 3 and 5. some just know that "something" is different about them and others know exactly what it is that is "different" about them. that being said, i personally can not say i would or would not allow their birth certificate to be changed, i am not in that situation, i can say though that if it were my child i would let them lives as whichever gender they felt they were.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marihla7
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly this.

Quoting caligirl7613:

i mean i dont really have that big of an issue with it. its a piece of paper, it can always be changed again if need be. now gender reassignment surgery, thats permanent. research has shown that most transgender and gay people are aware of this sometime between the ages of 3 and 5. some just know that "something" is different about them and others know exactly what it is that is "different" about them. that being said, i personally can not say i would or would not allow their birth certificate to be changed, i am not in that situation, i can say though that if it were my child i would let them lives as whichever gender they felt they were.

Mommy2_two
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Never.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)