Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

moms, that have lost a parnet..

Come December 6, it will be one year since my dad passed away. I have no clue how I will handle it.
How did you handle the first anniversary of your parents passing. I can't visit his grave cause I live in NC, and his grave is in NJ. So what did you do, how did you handle it?
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM
I do the same thing with my girls. My oldest is so much like my Dad. She loves cars. My Dad loved cars. He would be so proud of her although he would only buy Fords and my dd loves and drives a Mazda. Lol. She also talks a lot and he did too.

Quoting Pumamama:

I was seven when my father died. I dedicate a mass every year on his birthday and the anniversary of his death or whenever really. My oldest is the age I was when I lost him and I have much more compassion for myself. It feels good to be able to acknowledge and grieve the loss. When I was a child, we just didn't talk about it--keep a stiff upper lip kind of thing. I tell stories to my girls about him and let them know what I think he'd like about their personalities. And always remember to be so grateful for the time you had with him (or her).

Melbornj
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I don't know, you will reach the year anniversary before me. Maybe you can tell me.
Summergale11
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM
My mom died in June in a car accident and I was 7 months pregnant. Now my baby is 1 month old. I had her with me for a month with my first baby a couple years ago-she lived in NM and I'm in Houston. We were already close but I felt so much closer to her after I had my baby... I didn't know how I was going to handle this birth without her. It was hard and I surrounded myself with my aunt and grandparents which was juice and helpful but it wasn't quite the same. I do know that my mom is going to heaven so that makes everything easier but it feels empty without her on earth with me. It's been 3 months sincere died. Haven't gotten to the year mark yet.
sirkokobean
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM

my dad has been dead for 3 and 1/2 years and I still miss him.  Just give yourself time, ask your family to do something that you love that day so you can keep busy or give yourseft me time, which ever makes you feel better.

Bellmont
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I sent a balloon with a note in it telling him how much I loved him still & missed him. Dad was sick  in 99 &  died in 2004.  The nurses at the home said that he wouldn't live for 6 mo. Fooled them. He wouldn't have if he stand there, they were giving him a timed released med all at once.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM

dallascowboys82 I know I will be thinking of this post during these holidays. I lost my mom unexpectedly this year and miss her terribly. She always spent Christmas with us and this year she's gone. So I think it's best to keep busy, surround yourself with people you love, try to laugh often and think of happy times.

fudgybuddymom
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I think I just said a couple of prayers & thanked God they had easy passings & in 2003 I was grateful they had passed so they were not around when my youngest sister Jeanna passed away after drowning in a local lake.

MSJAP2010
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:55 AM
I try to take a portion out of my day & cry. After I do that, I like to remember the good times. I honestly know your pain momma, HUGS!!!
vic270
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM

i guess i am just not thinking about the actual day she died i think about her and miss her all the time. my mom was my best friend. i still reach for the phone to call her [just a habit] and it was 2 years in june. i think of things every day that i want to tell her and i do. i slept with her for 3 nights before she finally took her last breath. i still will  not go to the gravesite but it has got some better not much. i still miss her so much

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Its so hard. I lost my  Dad 10 years ago,My Mom last year. I still have a hard time.I miss them both everyday. Im sorry for your loss

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)