Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

School Suspends Teen for Wanting to Drive Her Drunk Friend Home?!

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 9 Replies

School Suspends Teen for Wanting to Drive Her Drunk Friend Home

by Jenny Erikson

Two weeks ago, a 17-year-old Massachusetts girl got a text from a friend at a party saying she was too drunk to drive, and could she come get her? Erin Cox, who is an honor student by the way, went to the home, but the cops showed up before she could find her friend.

She was cleared by the police, who said she was not in possession of any alcohol, but officials at North Andover High School claim she violated their strict zero-tolerance policy. She was stripped of her role as captain of the volleyball team and suspended for five games.

Bravo, guys. This type of thinking is exactly what will keep teenagers safe. Punish the good kids just trying to do the right thing. Very encouraging for other young people that can’t decide whether or not to help a friend in need. Or something.

Seriously, what are they thinking? Should the kids at the party have been drinking? Obviously not. But kids are going to do dumb things, mmmkay? The friend was smart not to get behind the wheel and lucky she had someone she could call. Let’s deal with the whole underage-drinking thing as a separate issue, because after the bad decision had been made, she made the right one to call a friend.

Cox’s mother Eleanor filed a lawsuit against the school, but a judge said last week the court did not have jurisdiction over the case. Eleanor told the Boston Herald that her daughter did the right thing, “saving her from getting in the car when she was intoxicated and hurt herself or getting in the car with someone else who was drinking.”

I think she did the right thing too. Bravo, Erin, you get a gold star in my book. I’m sorry your school is more concerned with their policies than with recognizing and encouraging compassion, safety, and good decision-making.

Do you think she made the right decision to help her friend?

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
She made the right decision. Outside of school, and not drinking herself was no business of theirs.
countingstars24
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM

That poor girl. She certainly didn't deserve that. It is teaching kids the wrong message.Now friends who have been drinking might not want to call for help in case they end up dragging others down with them, while the responsible ones will not be willing to help in order to protect themselves. She was cleared by the police, she wasn't in possession of alcohol. Any punishment, which she didn't deserve, should have been handled by her guardians. If I was the mother I would have pulled her out of that school and taken her to another one within the district.

skitskidaddle
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Okay , here is what she should do, have her call MADD....and get them in touch with the idiots of the school

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

why does stupid shit like this happen is small ass hick towns?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Why is the school involved in something out of school hours of grounds? 

Punishment or praise should come from the girl's family.

If it was online bullying, the school would had said that it is out of their hands... SHM

Vinterland
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM

She did the right thing, she wasn't even involved in that, she was just trying to get her friend home safely. What kind of message does this send to teens? 

BL2010
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Was just listening to this on the radio this morning. Of course she did the right thing. What if her friend drove and killed herself or someone else? Good grief. That school is assinine and ought to take a look at their policies again. She did NOTHING wrong

storkradio193
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I saw this yesterday on CNN, it seems clear she did the right thing and this just sets a bad precedent for punishing those who are being responsible and helping others.

famiglia_bella
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM

That is so backwards.  I whole-heartedly agree with the poster who said they should call MADD.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)