Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What's so wrong with daycare?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 112 Replies

Recently, I decided to return to work. Starting next week, I'll work Sundays through Thursdays which means putting my 6mo in daycare from 9a-6p Mon-Thur while my husband and I are both at work (he's home on Sun). I researched and asked around for references and found a good place to take him. I really liked the staff there and they seem really happy to answer any questions or address any concerns I have, so I think he'll in good hands.

The problem is my husband's mom keeps calling me every day now begging me not to do this to our son and telling me all kinds of stories she heard from a friend of a friend of a friend, trying desperately to scare me into letting him stay with her, and she's not the best person to entrust with an infant's care (husband agrees). Now friends are weighing in and telling me that she's still a better option than a stranger?

What's so wrong with daycare?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM
4 moms liked this
Nothing is wrong. Tell her to butt out.
Lunarprancer
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I love my dd's daycare, which turned into pre-school and is now her after kindergarten care =0)

mamawolf1103
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM
5 moms liked this

I run an in home daycare and while I have a great bond with the kids I care for they in no way prefer me over their mothers. If you have doubts about your mother in law caring for you child then don't let her pressure you. Use the place you trust and you will feel much better about.

TatyBear
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Nothing is wrong with.daycare.

My oldest went to the same daycare for 9.5 yrs and my.middle went for 4 yrs.

They started full-time daycare at 2 and 3 weeks old. I love daycare.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
There's nothing wrong with day care in itself. I've personally avoided it because I've never needed it, I did have people I trusted to watch the one I had while I was working, and I have people now on the occasions we need a babysitter.
Honestly, I've avoided day care at all costs because I don't like the kid to people ratio.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM
4 moms liked this

This is not necessarily a truth!  I used to provide day-care in my home and while I bonded extremely well with the children I watched (I never watched more than 2 at any given time; generally just 1), and one even called me 'mom', they never ever preferred me over their own mothers.  The one that called me 'mom', his mother knew it & it didn't bother her at all; she took it as a sign that her son loved me as a mother and it made her feel confident in the care I was giving her son.  Not every woman can afford to stay home, nor even is she can afford to ... not every woman has the desire to be a stay-at-home mother.  Some mothers are better mothers just by being mothers that work outside the home.  I preferred being a SAHM, but then I was able to and it was 'me'; it's not for everyone.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nothing as long as you don't mind your child bonding better with the babysitter. I run a small  inhome daycare, all of the kid prefer me over their own mothers. I personally find it really sad.

orchardmoma
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Nothing is wrong with daycare. 

storkradio193
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Nothing, I, along with my husband, would make the choice that we think is best.

Momofmenagerie
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM
There is aboslutely nothing wrong with daycare. If you pick one that has camera outside and inside , codes to get in the building, and a director who has some form of early childhood education background, it may be even better when needed. There are always pros and cons to everything... Like if both parent are able and need to work, big pro!

Just do it. It really worth it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)