Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Teacher Threw Booze & Condom-Filled Party For Students?!

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM
  • 9 Replies

Teacher Who Threw Booze & Condom-Filled Party For Students Isn't As Crazy As She Sounds

by Ericka Sóuter

boozeRemember the coolest teacher you ever had? For me, it was the history teacher who sat on top of her desk, let us call her by her first name, and bitched about her stuffier colleagues. Well, these days, it takes a lot more to earn cool points with kids. I suppose that was what South Miami Senior High School dance teacher Isabel Diaz-Almaraz was thinking when she threw a party for her students. And this wasn't a cola, pinata, and chips in the classroom kind of soiree. She rented out a penthouse hotel room and provided plenty of booze and condoms for kids she taught. Crazy, right? But not as crazy as you might think.

She was caught after a student posted a photo online suggesting he received from her a party platter full of condoms and booze, booze, including Malibu Rum and Grey Goose Vodka and Jello (presumably for Jello shots).  That caption read, "The you Mrs. D!!"

From there school officials learned that she may have rented a $1,000 a night penthouse suite for her adoring students to party it up. It's no wonder Ms. Diaz-Almaraz was so popular. Kids eagerly described her as "cool" and "fun." First she was suspended without pay, then fired. Not a big surprise. It's outrageous. But there is a silver lining to all of this. I'm serious. I think it's great that she rented a safe place for them to party and then presumably sleep over.  Who wants a bunch of drunk kids on the road in the middle of the night. Having them in one, enclosed space better ensures their safety and that of everyone elses. So, if that was part of her motivation for having the party at a hotel, at least she's not totally out of her mind.

Of course that doesn't negate the fact that giving them alcohol endangers the lives of these children. They shouldn't have been partying like that in the first place. Should she be teaching or working with minors? No, not if this incident turns out to be true. Should she be punished? Yes. But I have to say, if someone is going to contribute to the delinquency of your minor, I suppose this is a tiny bit safer than other possibilities ... but a very tiny bit.

Why do you think this teacher did this?

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Shame on her and she should be fired!

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Fire her butt

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I hope some type of criminal action can be taken. Teachers like other adults need to see this is totally Inappropriate !

rachellaree20
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Not cool.

readyforhim
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Again its an adult thinking like a friend and wanting to be cool, dumb move on her part now she has legal problems.
Pnukey
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM

She is clearly an idiot and not fit to be teaching.

mnm1994
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I have no clue why she did this. Was probably having sex with the students, too, I bet. (There was a teacher like that when I was in HS)

deb51980
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:01 PM

No.  

Providing alcohol to minors is not OK.  Just because there are choices that are even worse does not make a bad choice OK.  

After enabling minors to drink she provided condoms.   i consider myself liberal with regards to sex but I want my boy to make his choices with a clear head.  No, no, no, no....

PinkButterfly66
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:58 PM

She should be in jail.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)