Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should an 18yo be allowed to drink on her birthday?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 332 Replies

My nextdoor neighbor is throwing a huge party for her daughter's 18th birthday and has invited what looks like half the city to attend. That's all well and good but now she's talking about how she's going to have alcohol there and allow her daughter AND her daughter's 17yo/18yo friends to drink 1 drink at the party, with their parents' permission. Now, it's illegal in our state unless you're 21, so this spells trouble in all kinds of ways to me.

If her mother allows it, should an 18yo be able to drink alcohol on her birthday?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrossStitchMum
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Ugh, no. Because those friends then need to get home somehow. It's allowing them to think it's ok
Buffymom9
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM
8 moms liked this

No way.  The daughter alone at home is okay but certainly beyond that illegal not to mention foolish.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM
3 moms liked this

Plain and simple: No! And I would not allow my 18 yr. old to go a party where stupid parents are buying the alcohol to supply to minors. They are cracking down on parents like that here in my state and that is a good thing in my book!

mom4awesomekids
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM
2 moms liked this

No she's not 21 yet.

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM
5 moms liked this
Absoultely NOT! It's illegal PERIOD
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bright-ones
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
No she's just asking for trouble. The law says 21. She's going to end up in jail.
AiLi
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:45 PM
25 moms liked this

I see no problem with it.  My mother made me a vodka strawberry daiquiri for my 18th birthday which was almost 8 years ago.  My husband's father also gave him a beer for his 18th birthday.

They both had the same reasoning:  If we were old enough to go to jail or join the military and die for our country, then we were old enough to have a drink.

The same rules applied too.  Basically, you can only have a drink in the house. We were taught about different alcohols and allowed to try some.  It was great because while our friends were doing stupid crap the moment they turned 21 and getting drunk because they never had it before, we didn't.  Instead, we knew how to help our friends and when to take them to the hospital.  One of our friends waited until he was 24 to have his first drink and is now an alcoholic and we are trying to get enough people together for an intervention.  As for my husband and I, we don't care to drink much. Our parents kind of destroyed the novelty of it I guess because it wasn't something we had to wait until 21 for and get more curious about it.

My friends did bar hops for their 21st birthdays and I just had a drink I knew I could handle and knew my limit while calling them idiots the entire time. 

While this is not something I hold for my life overall, if the kids are in the house and staying the night like a sleepover... chances are... no one will know they were drinking and thus no one will care. 

fudgybuddymom
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Not if the law doesn't allow for it but on the other hand if she can keep all the kids in line & make sure they only have one drink(which I doubt) that wouldn't be so bad. I would not have a bunch of 17 -18 yr olds drinking at my house but I would allow my daughter one drink with me after the party if she really wanted to. But then again I'm hopin' that she doesn't cause both her father & I suffered from alcoholism so it would be gr8 if she didn't.

littlelamb303
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

NO, I would never allow that and she can get into a whole lot of trouble allowing underage drinkers to do so in her home.

LoZ_Momma
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

No!  Not only is it illegal, it's also asking for trouble.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)