Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

(sfag) Is this headstone tacky or appropriate?

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM
  • 16 Replies

After a 28yo veteran was found dead in a hotel in CO her family laid her to rest and had this headstone made to mark her grave because she really liked Spongebob and even had a Spongebob-themed bedroom. The cemetary approved the stone but now has removed it and the one they made like it for her twin sister who's still alive. They say the stone should never have been approved and that the family should choose something more appropriate. They are offering to cover the cost of the two markers for the family, citing their error, but the family feels hurt that they're dismissing the deceased's wishes.

Do you think this is inappropriate for a gravestone, or is it fitting?

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM
tacky
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
I think it's tacky, but I've never known anyone that into spongebon.
Sidenote, It took me a few minutes to figure out what sfag meant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
precious54
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM

tacky

karrahM
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

A military uniform should not be on as cartoon character! Her family should have more respect for her service. These stones were over 6 feet tall. However, the cemetary made a huge mistake and should do a lot more to compensate the family.

XXMISFTITGIRLXX
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I think its incredibly tacky that a woman who served our country can not be celebrated even in death, not all death has to be in grief. I feel bad for the family that they cannot express what their daughter was about, she loved Spongebob Square Pants, big deal. What if someone put the archangel of St. Christopher...and they thought that big statue of a saint was tacky. I think its horrible they took it down. Such a sad world we live in, even after death.

XXMISFTITGIRLXX
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Mickey Mouse was the cartoon character during WW2, they had watches, gas mask and military boots with this cartoon character. Different decade same thought.

fudgybuddymom
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

If this is what the deceased wanted it should stand. It's different sure but it expresses who the woman was.

redhead-bedhead
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Spring Grove Cemetery is a nice cemetery. They keep the grounds so immaculate that many have their professional pictures shot there. Two seven foot tall Spongebob statues do not fit that cemetery.

XXMISFTITGIRLXX
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM
If it's so picturesque, I'm sure they can take a picture not in front of spongebob, perhaps they can move ten feet to the right or left. What about parents whom lost a child and have those big tombstones that are the shape of a teddy bear or heart, certainly that is not traditional. Everyone has the right to choose a tombstone for themselves or family, they first allowed it, then cranky uptight people complained. I say it's pretty shameful that a veteran cannot be honored they way they would want to be, she fought for our freedom, which entails freedom if speech.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Spring Grove Cemetery is a nice cemetery. They keep the grounds so immaculate that many have their professional pictures shot there. Two seven foot tall Spongebob statues do not fit that cemetery.

godsgirl26
by ♥ char ♥ on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Its something she liked I say go for it. Let the dead lady have the darn headstone gah.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN